Reoccuring Stihl Chainsaw problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron.a

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I seem to be running into some of same problems with all my Stihl chainsaws and I am trying to figure out what causes it and solutions. I should mention I am a bit of a rookie at chainsaw repairs, would like to be able to diy but we shall see.

It seems to happen to all my saws 201TC, 291, 361, 880. I am going to guess the problem arises around the 130 hour mark.

Chainsaw has no problems starting cold. When it is warmed up, it starts well but have to quickly put finger on the trigger (which could be a safety issue) or the saw dies out. It is incredibly frustrating. I have tried a bunch of things, new carb kits, new filters, new spark plugs, and a couple other things but problem still persists.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

start it with hand on trigger and bar on a piece of wood tip clear of anything works every time

If it's an adjustable carb, try turning the idle screw clockwise 1/4 turn. The 201tc will have to be trigger started.

Also check your tank vents.

The 201tc may also benefit from a carb reset.

X2 on carb limiters being part of the problem. Delimit.

Have you ever had to clean the spark arrestors from carbon build up? If so what kind of mix oil are you using and are you mixing it rich? If they all run good cold, until warm, I am a little suspect of the rings being sticky. I cant imagine that unless you are mixing very rich and not using high quality mix oil though. The fact that they run good but do not idle after warm is a little suspect. A compression reduction would cause this.

The other scenario I am thinking is how cold is it when you are running these saws? If it is really cold, you could be developing an icing issue inside the venturi of the carb. I have seen a lot of this in the pacific northwest where it is moist and cold. Some of the saws have a port you can open in the cylinder cover or the edge of the tank for running during the winter months so you can get warm air from the cylinder back to the carb area to keep this icing from happening.

Not half as bad as when someone brings in a saw that hasn't ran in a dog's age and still has gas trapped inside it.

Back