Repairing Walbro Check Valves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
I have accumulated several Walbro WT's, and one WT Chinese clone, that have bad check valves. Usually they pull air through the main fuel port when you pump the purge valve, so you cannot get the air out. This leads to hard starting, and if it's bad enough they may not run. It's a common failure mode and has been quite frustrating.

Walbro has used various fuel outlets/check valve arrangements - some of them have a brass fuel port pressed into the venturi, and some have just a hole drilled at the edge. The ones with the brass insert seemed complex and I had not figured out how they worked, but I needed to fix one so I looked at it more closely. I should have known it would be stone simple!

The ones with the brass insert have 4 thin tabs around the outlet that curl back inward, trapping a small flat disc underneath to form a one-way valve.

IMG_6225-crop-1024.jpg
Some of these are black rubber discs, and with the throttle shaft removed you can reach in with an appropriate tweezers and pull it out. The rubber is 0.010" to 0.012" thick, and quite flexible. The carb I was trying to fix was actually a Chinese "HTIC" clone of a WT, and I hoped to use the disk from a scrap Walbro, but it turn out they used a smaller disk than the Walbro. The Walbro disk is about 3.5mm, and the clone is 3mm. So that meant I needed to make one!

I searched around in my bin of old carb and vacuum emissions parts, and found some appropriate rubber. It was actually a charcoal canister purge valve diaphragm from an old Jeep (probably a GM part). Then I grabbed a leather punch and did a little clean up on the punches. In this shot the original factory disks are on the left, and the ones I made are on the right:

IMG_6222-1024.jpg

The small disk on the lower left leaks, but I'm not entirely sure why - it is mildly potato-chipped so I guess that must be it. Once I made the disk I was able to place it over the brass fuel outlet and tuck it under the fingers. The part worked - it is not 100% air tight, probably because the material I used had a little curl to it, but it's as good as some I've had from new. It held 10" of vacuum, but it still leaks a tiny bit of air. I am curious to see if it holds up to the E10 fuel I use, and will be looking for an other source of material.

In the end the original carb is back in my Earthquake and running well, so it was a successful repair.

Here are the tools and materials:

IMG_6232-800.jpg

IMG_6230-800.jpg
I looked at a couple of other carbs, including the WTEA-1 from my Dad's 455R, and it had a clear plastic disk that was way too hard to remove intact. I used a hot wire to burn a hole in it and then was able to remove it. I put a rubber disk in but I could see I marked up the brass surface getting the old one out - it did not seal very well. I don't know if the original disk started out that hard or not - it's hard to see how it could seal if it was. I suspect it deteriorated due to my Dad's use of inappropriate fuel containers.

Cool repair!! Let us know how it works in the long run. I usually just replace the whole nozzle.

For material, Do you have any unused diaphragms from a carb kit?
and isn't that leather punch a handy tool to have around!

I can imagine the second type of floating disc being being as ridged as those stiff, visible fiber reenforced diaphragms.
Usually sort of a beige color one that fit on the pump side of the carb.
But I have also seen some non-fiber plastic ones that feel as stiff as something like a water bottle.
Ican imagine the rigid disc being a slight bit lighter and faster responding.
at the risk of opening the worm can of oil/fuel ratios, I feel the oil in the gas will have a direct , noticeable, bearing on the sealing of the disc and how fast that happens, too.

Cool repair!! Let us know how it works in the long run. I usually just replace the whole nozzle.

+1 Part Number: 84-613-1 online $3

Replacing it is not hard, but I never have the valve I need when I need it, and then there is shipping....

In this case the carb was a Chinese clone and the part is not available.

For material, Do you have any unused diaphragms from a carb kit?
and isn't that leather punch a handy tool to have around!
The diaphragms were too thin. The leather punch is useful, but that one is garbage - the punches don't hit the plate square, and I had to do considerable re-shaping of the small one. In the future I will look for some brake line or other tubing of the right ID, and then cut on a block of oak.

Yes but you were looking for 3mm or so. I like the 5 and 6mm for creating holes in custom material to bring the squish down
It's just that I run into the need to punch gasket holes of various sizes regularly, and then run around looking for stock to make a tool.

Carb parts too thin. ahhh, It figures.
Spare carb kit leftovers would be a little too easy of a resource.
As for the twirl-o-punch alignment, I've sorta wondered if there was some rule against selling one
that's indexed and has square ends on all of the cutter tubes.

Edit: I would agree that the non-flat disc is the source of the leakage.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a less than sharp cutter could even leave a bit distortion in the material and contribute to flatness issues.

Those individual hole dies (punches) are nice to have around for custom gaskets. The set that Chris links are like the ones that HF sells which I have a set of. They just go down that smaller size.

The other ones link by the other poster is individual dies shipped in from Hong Kong; you select the size you want when ordering. You do however can order individual sizes from 1 mm to 25 mm.

I think will order some the ones that smaller than what I got currently. Now just where am I going hid them?

Those punches are great when making custom gaskets. For the bolt holes and for the radius corners. I have the harbor freight set, only have used it lightly, works fine. I usually punch gaskets out with it, with the backing of the gasket on the end grain of some wood. Works well in keeping the punch in good shape.

Yes it was just something I had on hand. I need to make another one to cut a smaller disc. This one was .137"

Latest posts

Back