Replacement Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigiron

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a Echo CS 310 for $75.00,needs a new chain. Looking for recommendations. Don't want a low profile,would prefer a more aggressive 14" chain.

I would suggest you reconsider the 3/8LP chain. That saw is only 30cc displacement and a larger chain size would likely give you problems with chain stoppage and could damage your clutch. My Stihl 018 is real close to the same size as the cs310. I run 3/8LP on it and that little saw screams through stuff up to 12" diameter just fine! If you go to a larger size chain I would bet you will not be happy with the result. I am not sure, but a larger chain with wider kerf may not clear your clutch cover either. If you do change to a larger size, let us know how it works....may be good info for others who are in your same situation!

I would suggest you reconsider the 3/8LP chain. That saw is only 30cc displacement and a larger chain size would likely give you problems with chain stoppage and could damage your clutch. My Stihl 018 is real close to the same size as the cs310. I run 3/8LP on it and that little saw screams through stuff up to 12" diameter just fine! If you go to a larger size chain I would bet you will not be happy with the result. I am not sure, but a larger chain with wider kerf may not clear your clutch cover either. If you do change to a larger size, let us know how it works....may be good info for others who are in your same situation!
I didn't think about that, your likely correct.

If you change from 3/8 low profile ('Picco') chain, you will have to change your drive sprocket and bar as well.

There are 'more aggressive' styles of this chain, such as full chisel (some without the reduced kickback bumpers). Some are also narrow kerf designs (typically .043 gauge), which also puts less load on the saw, making it feel like it has more power, Sharp chain is always the key.
STIHL PS or PS3 (full chisel); Oregon 90PX or 91PX (semi chisel).

Skip chain, as @HarleyT suggests, will have fewer teeth, but will cut rougher on the smaller wood typically cut with that size saw.

Philbert

I have the cs352. Same exact saw as the 310 just slightly larger displacement. 34cc. It cuts great with the 3/8lp 16" chain that came on it. I took the cat out of the muffler and opened the exit port a little and pulled the limiters off the carb. It really cuts good for it's size. I was very impressed with it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Go get it. I have had a 310 for about 6 years now, it was a open box, slightly used saw from HD. Best 130 bucks I've ever spent. In until that point I had only used poulan saws. Now I only use echos I've cut alot of trees with it, ran it over and had to epoxy bits of the rear handle back together. The anti vibe a light weight is always the first saw I use. And dont be afraid of lp chain. Stihl full chisel, a muffler mod and carb tune and keep the 14" on it. Great little saw

I have a Cs 352. It's a nice little saw. 3/8LP is the right chain for that saw. The 310 having even less power would make it even harder to pull wider .325 or regular 3/8 through wood. Cutting a wider kerf takes more power. The Stihl PS3 is very good full chisel chain. Yes it's safety chain but the safety features do not intrude or make the chain cut slower.

If you are cutting brush or wood with dirt on it use semi chisel chain. It will stay sharp longer.

Latest posts

Back