Replacing 026 fuel tank -- tricks/tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, folks...

I'm going to be visiting my parents for Thanksgiving, and I'm thinking about replacing the fuel tank on my dad's 026 for him. He's fixed it with J-B weld several times; the fix lasts for a while and then comes apart.

Anyway, I was thinking about getting a used tank/handle assembly either from a member here or off of Ebay. Are there any tips/tricks involved? Is this a tough job? What about compatibility issues? The only one that comes to my mind is fuel vent designs... I think Dad might have a "red lever" saw with the tall black fuel vent.

Hi, folks...

I'm going to be visiting my parents for Thanksgiving, and I'm thinking about replacing the fuel tank on my dad's 026 for him. He's fixed it with J-B weld several times; the fix lasts for a while and then comes apart.

Anyway, I was thinking about getting a used tank/handle assembly either from a member here or off of Ebay. Are there any tips/tricks involved? Is this a tough job? What about compatibility issues? The only one that comes to my mind is fuel vent designs... I think Dad might have a "red lever" saw with the tall black fuel vent.

If you don't have a repair manual, go to beg for manual thread and ask for one. Stihl does have good manuals.

TT

Maybe the member here could send you one of both styles of tanks, and you can send him back the wrong one? The fuel line will be different in the later tanks, and you may want to replace it anyway. The tank with the tall vent should be the right one for the red-lever. That one will use the small-hole fuel line also.

So if I get a "tall vent" tank for a red-lever saw, I should probably not have any compatibility issues?

How hard is this job? I'm guessing it's somewhere between doing a P&C replacement on an 026 and doing a P&C replacement on a ms290, lol.

Its dead easy to swap tanks. Do some searching for the "string trick". Involves wrapping a piece of string around the intake manifold and feeding it through the tank opening to help install the manifold. A pair of hemostats works well for installing the impulse line onto the barb. Make sure that the wiring is not pushing hard against the fuel line, and also that the line is situated properly under the carb.

Thanks... already did the "string trick" on my 260 P&C replacement, it worked great. Only problem was I used a rough twine that left whiskers everywhere, lol. The string trick is actually in the service manual.

It will take about 30 minuted to clean it alone. Getting saw dust between mounts and the intake system isn't recommenced It would be a good time to change the impulse line. It's probably like a rock.

I would have one of each size fuel line on hand just in case, and would surely replace the impulse line, well, just because. And "Red Lever" means red lever, not what type of tank vent or fuel line may be required for the particular tank/handle you end up with! And you can actually replace a red one with a black one!!!:cheers:

Poge

Back