Repost - Crazy Burls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Full Chisel

Slingin' Stihls and runnin' Huskies
Reaction score
I had posted this in the firewood section a while back and someone suggested reposting it here.

I found this incredible piece of Red Oak in the pile to be split. The forms in this burl are endless and almost mesmerizing. Someone mentioned it looks like a Van Gogh and I have to agree. Still can't decide whether the darker face-like shape is a bear, monkey, dog, a mix of all three, or as my mom thought, Marge Simpson(still don't see it, ma).

What do you guys think? Let's see those burls!

IMAG0606.jpg

I don't know, but to me this one looked like something got trapped inside the stump and is fighting the way out.

IMG_5104.JPG

The bigger question is: "What are you going to do with it?"

Scott (not that ugly from here) B

wow that is one seriously nice burl! Id love to come across one like that! lol my problem is, if I did, I wouldn't know what to do with it...id be afraid that if I used it on something, id find a better project for it and wish I hadn't used it so it would sit in my garage forever and never get used! lol

I imagine it is due to something like fungus blocking the normal flow of sap and the tree trying to compensate by growing outwardly in every direction. But that's just a guess, I really have no idea.

wow that is one seriously nice burl! Id love to come across one like that! lol my problem is, if I did, I wouldn't know what to do with it...id be afraid that if I used it on something, id find a better project for it and wish I hadn't used it so it would sit in my garage forever and never get used! lol
i'm gonna get a lidded drum to boil gnarly wood in ( 1 hour per 1" thick smallest cross) to release the inside tension.Advice from commercial wood turning site for their use. the lid will just sit unclamped to slow water loss. your mileage may vary,

We have a guy that buys them. We had one that was about 6ft across, the skid steer barely could lift it, was well into the 5000lb area.

Latest posts

Back