Repower an old log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If going electric
Keep in mind, it's 746 watts to 1 hp.

8 hp engine.... you're between motor sizes, 7.5 & 10. I would go with 10.

Doing the quick math, that's 7460 watts. Assuming 85% efficiency, you're looking at around 8775 watts.

At 120v, that's 73 amps. At 240v, about 37 amps.

If you're willing to drop the 1/2hp and go with 7.5hp @ 85% efficiency , 6580 watts, 55amps @ 120, 27amps @ 240v.

In either case, that's one hell of an extension cord.

Quick update, snapped easy out inside drilled out set screw. Ordered new L095 coupler set online. Didn't buy the predator 8hp yet hopefully get there by Friday to pick it up. Fingers crossed maybe I'll get her back together by Sunday.

Dismounted old B/S yesterday and it looks like shaft on predator 8hp is about 1/4 inch shorter or so. I dont think this matters....

Hieght if shaft is about the same, diameter same.

Not sure about the mounting bolt pattern yet gotta get to HF and take a look at the new motor bolt pattern, same for the bolt pattern where the lovejoy things mount

Ran into 1 problem that I'm hoping to solve tmrw the 1/2 coupling on the old motor is stuck on the shaft because the set screw stripped on me, easy out tmrw morning hopefully. It's a lovejoy L 095-1, which I cant seem to locate new anywhere, is there a retailer that sells this in store or am I going to have to order a used set on ebay? If I cant get the old one off....

Thanks for all the replies so far !

When you are looking for a replacement motor Take Notice of where the exhaust is pointing. I had a 5 hp. B/S that a hired hand mangled with a skidsteer (Long and StOOpid story) The original motor had the exhaust pointing at the operator but I was so used to it never thought about it until I put a Honda 5 hp and the exhaust was 180 degrees different. Much NICErer
As for the Love Joy Go to a Bearing , Belt , Industrial power drive kind of warehouse or Graingers will most likely have one If it is an oddball brand have the pump side half off and with you and replace all three pieces (if Spider is different )

Lovejoy brand is only way to go. Just get a new half from Graingers or possibly Amazon. The predator engine may have multiple bolt holes for B&S,Honda fitment. The Predator is your cheapest way out so give it a try. I have a 1979 B&S 8 HP just like yours except mine is an IC series and it runs like a champ even after 30 yrs of service.

I was able to get the new predator 8hp motor bolted up and the jaw couplings together tonite.

I didn't realize it but the starter rope is facing the machine so hopefully that's an easy fix. Gave up tonite as the jaw coupling took me awhile, probably an easier way but because the housing blocked my view I had to do it with a light and inspection mirror. Anyway if I get the rope switched around and am able to get the thing started I'll take some pics and post.

The motor and hydrolic pump housing bolted right up using the old bolts from the briggs motor.

The manual says 3 hr no load break. Not much more guidance than that. So basically just start the motor and let it idle for 3 hrs then change the oil and should be good to go ? Any advice on anything else with regard to these motors ?

Latest posts

Back