ArboristSite.com Sponsors

repowering mtd splitter

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by dave_376, Jan 9, 2019.

1. dave_376

dave_376 ArboristSite Operative

I have a yard machine(mtd) 27ton splitter that need a new engine. It currently has a vertical shaft honda that has been a pain since the day I got it. I'm thinking about putting a predator horizontal shaft on it. There is plenty of hose on the pressure side but the flow from the tank to the pump will need to be considerably longer for it to work. Is there anything specific I need for this hydraulic hose?

2. muddstopper

muddstopper Addicted to ArboristSite

I have used a regular high pressure hose on the suction side without problems. Other wise you should at least use re-enforced non collapable hose with quailty clamps to prevent any air leaks,

dave_376 likes this.
  3. rancher2

rancher2 ArboristSite Guru

You should be able to buy some hyd suction hose at a hyd repair place or look at surplus center Lincoln Ne web site they have it and its good quality. If you do a search on here there are several good threads on putting the HF horizontal motors on these type of splitters.

4. kevin j

kevin j Addicted to ArboristSite

Suction hose has a wire spiral built in between layers to resist collapse. Fabric braid or single wire can take alot of outward pressure, but not do well in suction inward pressure. Also hard to clamp well on the barb fittings. It can work, but soft flexible spiral suction hose is certainly better. NAPA and auto stores are expensive, and usually max out at -16 one inch. Pirtek is even more expensive for retail quotes. See if there is a local bearing seal hose supplier, Parker or Eaton or GAtes or something around there. Surplus Center is always good, b ut shipping would be high in a large box.

5. dave_376

dave_376 ArboristSite Operative

Thanks for the info!!!!!

6. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

I have used heater hose

sixonetonoffun likes this.
  7. Streblerm

Streblerm Addicted to ArboristSite

Heater hose may work for a while but it will degrade when in contact with oil.

kevin j and GVS like this.