repowering mtd splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_376

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a yard machine(mtd) 27ton splitter that need a new engine. It currently has a vertical shaft honda that has been a pain since the day I got it. I'm thinking about putting a predator horizontal shaft on it. There is plenty of hose on the pressure side but the flow from the tank to the pump will need to be considerably longer for it to work. Is there anything specific I need for this hydraulic hose?

You should be able to buy some hyd suction hose at a hyd repair place or look at surplus center Lincoln Ne web site they have it and its good quality. If you do a search on here there are several good threads on putting the HF horizontal motors on these type of splitters.

Suction hose has a wire spiral built in between layers to resist collapse. Fabric braid or single wire can take alot of outward pressure, but not do well in suction inward pressure. Also hard to clamp well on the barb fittings. It can work, but soft flexible spiral suction hose is certainly better. NAPA and auto stores are expensive, and usually max out at -16 one inch. Pirtek is even more expensive for retail quotes. See if there is a local bearing seal hose supplier, Parker or Eaton or GAtes or something around there. Surplus Center is always good, b ut shipping would be high in a large box.

Back