Resinoid Grinder Wheels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of stuff on the chain. here's what the files are leaving on a new chain.
I also need to arrange a narrower clamping method, as this mini-vise doesn't allow me to get the file angle I need to roughly match the yellow line.
The blue line is the max angle obtainable in this vise.

and my pics are crappy looking too. I need to rig some better lighting and get the camera closer
to the chain.

your foto is very good. the camera has a good macro function. how does the chain cut? that's the "figure of merit." what's all the red stuff? there are some threads on this site about building a chain vise.

I haven't run this chain yet, I've been just filing a few teeth at a time ( carpal tunnel & what not).
The red is just a lighting artifact. I've got a mix of lighting in this photo ( halogen, florescent and regular incandescent ) and downsizing the photo files can often exaggerate that stuff.

Now at Bailey's!

Thanks to WebGal, Bailey's will start carrying these wheels (it may take them a few weeks to get their first batch).

This is good news, because:
- they have been hard to find;
- there was only one on-line vendor (that I could find) who was offering them;
- Bailey's is a site sponsor;
- they are showing them at Bailey's pricing ($7.99 and $8.99)!

http://www.baileysonline.com/shop.axd/ProductDetails?edp_no=662811
http://www.baileysonline.com/shop.axd/ProductDetails?edp_no=662812

This makes them significantly less expensive than even their Molemab vitrified wheels on sale. Worth checking out.

Thanks WebGal!

Philbert

Good find Philbert, You Da Man.

I have been hoarding the Total resinoid wheels I have and using Silvey's that were discarded by my dealer. I had to make a bushing though to make them fit. The Silvey's grey wheels are similar and I like them a lot. When the Silvey's get worn down, they fit the Tecomec clones just fine.

Got the Bailey's wheel (Left) to compare with the Tilton wheel (Right)! Looks pretty 'similar', no? Cost was almost half.

Resinoid Total Molemab.jpg

The Molemab wheel is brand new. The Total wheel has been used on about 15 chains - wear is not noticeable.

Philbert

I've used the Precision Tooling (Tecomec), Molemab, and Carlton wheels plus the GB/Jakmax wheels. I've found that the first three are too fine and more prone to overheating the cutters. They do leave a nice finish but there is also too much fine dust in my book - dust is something that is quite often overlooked. Fine silica dust deep in your lungs doesn't do you any good at all - neither does chrome for that matter. The GB/Jakmax are apparently from the same Chinese manufacturer and are a good compromise being between too fine and too course. Even though I now use ABN/CBN wheels the GB/Jaxmax wheels are my pick from the ones I've used. They all do the job just some do it better :)

I finally tried one of the Total wheels the other day. They seem similar to the Silvey's charcoal wheel but may be a tad less dusty.

Matt which wheel would you send me to do 3/8 and 404 chisel chain from Sihl oh and a cost to me here , thankyou ;o))

Matt which wheel would you send me to do 3/8 and 404 chisel chain from Sihl oh and a cost to me here , thankyou ;o))

I wouldn't send you any Stihl branded wheel mate. They are all too expensive. The cheaper wheels seem to do a pretty good job. I'll send you one soon for nuffin.

Matt please don't do that , as much as I would like a good wheel Id be happy to pay for it olson Im just happy and thankful for your help ;o))

How,dya go with the pil punp for the 550 evl

No cigar mate. He'll sell the whole thing but won't part it out otherwise he ends up with a saw that he can't get any parts for either. It's actually in really good condition too. Hasn't seen much use.

I've got resinoid on the two grinders for cutters, vitrified on the raker grinder. Also did the final install mounting them.

35m3wad.jpg

My pride and joy.

20ij7rr.jpg

It didn't come with a knob, so I installed one, a little crude but effective.

2epo6sz.jpg

Latest posts

Back