Retro-fitting Stihl saws with tygon fuel line instead of black factory formed line.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Has anybody retrofit their Stihl saw with yellow tygon fuel line and a chassis grommet? What grommet did you use?

I did this type of retrofit with my Husqvarna 162SE and it turned out magnificent.
I used a chassis grommet from an Echo 550 EVL and yellow tygon fuel line. The result was fantastic, and I left enough slack to facilitate easy fuel filter replacement.

Why do you say Tygon is crap, and how are the OEM hoses you mentioned better? Do they stay flexible longer than Tygon?

To me Tygon seemed better than what came on homeowner trimmers, but by the time the next carb kit is needed the Tygon is generally rock-hard.

Tygon and other plastic lines are trash...they quickly get hard and often shrink. I get 2 to 2 and a half seasons out of genuine tygon and 1 to 1 and a half seasons out of cheaper bootleg tygon.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Tygon 4040 is decent. Just got to make sure you get the original and not a copy. I use oem Echo black line for everything except for small tygon 4040 lines now.

I bypass the molded lines if the owners give me permission to do so on stihl saws and trimmers etc.

s450line.jpgs390line.JPG

Actually a fluropolymer (i.e. Teflon). Makes good fuel proof gaskets but not flexible enough for intricate fuel lines.
I've been using it for a few years on all kinds of 2-stroke equipment. Viton is a little stiffer than Tygon but so far I haven't had any issues with it other than taking a little more effort to stretch it over some of the carb fittings or fuel filter barbs.

I have redone most of my trimmers and other small engines in viton, several years in, no problems other than getting the larger diameter through some grommets...a little wd40 and pliers and it made it.

I tried Tygon on my string trimmers and ice auger, and it was hard after a year. Just my experience.

Latest posts

Back