Revisiting the MS201T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've moded several 201Ts as I outlined in the first thread I did on them. It had been a while since I ran a stock one, and wanted to try the new baseline carb settings that are being put out by Stihl. I picked up another new 201T this morning. The H needle was already all the way rich against the stop, as they usually are. The L needle was out about 1 3/8, so I back it out another 1/4 turn to the recommended 1 5/8 turns. Surprisingly, throttle response wasn't that bad off idle. I expected it to be worse. However, the power is still extremely anemic. The saw has very little power and lugs very easily. You'll see the saw run stock in the video below.

So, off came the muffler, carb, and flywheel. The H limiter was drilled out, the ignition timing was advanced 6°, and the muffler was modded. Interestingly, the L needle ends up just past 1 turn out, leaner than stock. Usually, a muffler modded saw like more L than stock. Not in this case. The H has to be backed out about 1/2 turn, ending up just past 2 1/2 turns. There is still plenty of adjustment range at this point.

The change is night and day. You wouldn't believe it's the same saw. These are the kind of gains you expect from a very successful port job. What was a very anemic little saw, turns into the little screamer we've come to expect from Stihl top handle saws. I guarantee you, a 201T modded as above, will not disappoint. They are a very fine running little saw.

[video=youtube_share;VL7aVsbUB1k]http://youtu.be/VL7aVsbUB1k[/video]

Has Stihl kept everything the same on the 201T since inception?

Good video, the adjustments and mods are quite evident.

That is very impressive gains once modded . Iam glad you did another video of the saw as a reminder of how well the 201 can be run against the 200 with some minor tweeks:clap:

Very nice! Any pictures of how you did the muffler mod, or how the timing advance is done?

No doubt that little saw woke up!
Thanks for the info Brad.
I wouldnt use one much but intend to get me one of those.

I've moded several 201Ts as I outlined in the first thread I did on them. It had been a while since I ran a stock one, and wanted to try the new baseline carb settings that are being put out by Stihl. I picked up another new 201T this morning. The H needle was already all the way rich against the stop, as they usually are. The L needle was out about 1 3/8, so I back it out another 1/4 turn to the recommended 1 5/8 turns. Surprisingly, throttle response wasn't that bad off idle. I expected it to be worse. However, the power is still extremely anemic. The saw has very little power and lugs very easily. You'll see the saw run stock in the video below.

So, off came the muffler, carb, and flywheel. The H limiter was drilled out, the ignition timing was advanced 6°, and the muffler was modded. Interestingly, the L needle ends up just past 1 turn out, leaner than stock. Usually, a muffler modded saw like more L than stock. Not in this case. The H has to be backed out about 1/2 turn, ending up just past 2 1/2 turns. There is still plenty of adjustment range at this point.

The change is night and day. You wouldn't believe it's the same saw. These are the kind of gains you expect from a very successful port job. What was a very anemic little saw, turns into the little screamer we've come to expect from Stihl top handle saws. I guarantee you, a 201T modded as above, will not disappoint. They are a very fine running little saw.

So how did it run with just the carb changes?

I just might have to buy one of these saws. I have a great running 200T but this one for sure interest me with the mods how it runs.

Brad did you show pictures of how much key to remove for the timing advance?

When brad first runs the stock saw in his vid its set at the new "stihl" settings...then he mods it and runs it again with his settings. Which is 2 1/2 out on the H needle and little over 1 full turn out on the L needle..

I think the 201T info you posted here, and youre previous thread from some time ago are some of the more valuable threads in recent months. Everyone is gasping at the $1,000 200t's, myself included.... but if I made a living with one, and saw no alternative I would probably bite the bullet. Information like this on the 201T, as simple as it is, I believe is a game changer in the top handle market- and seeing is definitely believing. This is one heck of an alternative to finding a NOS $1,000 top handle.
I have done a handful myself, new and used- and hats off to you helping motivate me to dig in and make a few believers with these top handled "sleeper" saws. Very good info here, and very good info in your first thread. Hats off to ya for some good information Brad.

What I saw was very impressive in the videos. I request that you post another thread and pics of the timing advance method with pics and the mod you did to the muffler. I wonder if anyone else who has already posted would like the same?:msp_wink:

What I saw was very impressive in the videos. I request that you post another thread and pics of the timing advance method with pics and the mod you did to the muffler. I wonder if anyone else who has already posted would like the same?:msp_wink:

Pics of a muffler mod are in the thread I did in 2011. There's a link on the previous page.

To adjust the timing, all I do is to thin the key that's cast into the flywheel. You need to thin one side so that the flywheel can be rotated counter clockwise 6° while the crank stays stationary. Then, simply lock the flywheel down by tightening the nut down.

Latest posts

Back