ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Richfield Police Investigating Man’s Death Involving Wood Chipper

Discussion in 'Arboricultural Injuries and Fatalities' started by under_the_hill, May 18, 2018.

1. under_the_hill

under_the_hill ArboristSite Lurker

Title from the CBS story - http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/05/16/richfield-man-dead-landscaping-accident/

This is from a thread on Reddit. I don't know his exact relation to this story. He also linked to this picture. 2s4SiBD.jpg

"Chipper got clogged, happens from time to time. Newbie loading, wiry oak both probable led to the jam.

There are ways to clear the jam safely, though they can be a chore.

There is a heavy metal shield that completely covers the anvil. For those that dont know, they anvil is a 3 inch thick, 3 foot diameter solid steel wheel that the blades mount to. This big ass heavy steel wheel is no joke, hence the heavy duty cover.

You can open the cover to remove debris, but removing the cover unplugs a safety switch that will prevent the machine from running. Of course, a guy could jump the switch, or use an old plug off another machine, or use some other basic way to defeat this safety feature. Doing so however, will allow the machine to spin the anvil, which doesnt **** around, with no protective cover. Bold move Cotton.

This pic is from yesterday. You can see half of the anvil exposed, due to the cover being gone. This is unusual because the cover is hinged (you can see the hinge pipe on the top of the remaining cover section).

Long story short: faster way to clear a jam is to remove cover and start the machine. Anvil/blades started spinning and hit the movable half of the anvil cover and sent it flying, into guys head. Now he is dead."

https://www.reddit.com/r/OSHA/comments/8k9gc6/override_safety_lockout_switch_when_clearing_a/

2. blades

blades Addicted to ArboristSite

can't seem to correct the hurry up and geterdone anyway possible mindset. the gene pool for this type does seem to get cleansed rather regularly though.

SeMoTony likes this.
  3. arathol

arathol ArboristSite Operative

Lots of assuming going on here...that story does not make a lot of sense.

4. under_the_hill

Here is a better explanation, video at link with additional information, plus a link within the story.

http://kstp.com/news/medical-examin...led-wood-chipper-incident-bill-pipes/4913449/

"The Hennepin County Medical Examiner has officially identified the man killed in a wood chipper incident Wednesday in Richfield.

Family members had already identified the man as Bill Pipes. The incident occurred on the 7000 block of James Avenue South just after 2:30 p.m. Wednesday.

A witness said a tree removal service was taking down a tree in the area. While they were putting parts of the tree in a wood chipper, the machine became clogged.

While trying to unclog it, a piece of metal dislodged and struck Pipes.

The medical examiner said the official cause of death was blunt force head and neck injuries."

5. under_the_hill

6. b fish

b fish ArboristSite Operative

I feel for his family. Wood Chippers Are Deadly!

under_the_hill likes this.
  7. 250R

250R ArboristSite Operative

There's got to be a better way to unclog a chippa.

8. b fish

b fish ArboristSite Operative

I Agree! I think when all is working well people become complacent . Then, something like this happens! What a Shame! I feel for all involved.