Rigging Gear purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATEC15

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm looking to purchase my very first rigging setup in the near future. I would like to get the dmm impact block(5/8") and also the medium port a wrap(5/8"). I know by purchasing the 5/8" impact block, I will have to use a rigging line that's 5/8" or less, but what size can my whoppie, loopie, or dead eye sling be? I've searched online at treestuff and wesspur...if everything in this setup will be 5/8", then every piece of rope will be the color red, which is odd. I don't know why they would make all 5/8" rope/slings red. I'd rather have assorted colors to label which rope goes with the block and which one goes with the port a wrap(the color is not a big deal though). Also would you recommend a whoppie, loopie, or dead eye sling over the other? I was thinking about just purchasing 2 eye slings over the "oopies" being that you have to literally tie an cows/timber hitch to lock it down rather than girt hitching with the "oopies". Any thoughts?
3376aa125dd6eaf25d664051cb62c5fa.jpg

5ed92e2ae6cb7094a43bb3ab4374132c.jpg

We only use dead eye slings on large trees where our loopies or whoopie slings aren't big enough. A couple of our guys know how to splice so they make the slings. Different manufactures of the hollow braid material make different colors I think. DMM blocks are nice but they just jacked up the prices by over $100 recently. I actually prefer the opening mechanism on the ISC blocks over the threaded DMM. Usually the sling can be at least the next size larger diameter than the line side on blocks but you'll have to check the specs. MAx sling diameter on the small DMM impact block is 3/4"

We usually bust out the large portawrap if we're dropping wood on the 5/8" line. We've had too many ropes get melted on the medium. Medium works well for 1/2" line. Don't have the mini

Buy once, cry once. Get the big block and pulley. You can fit smaller rope in a big pulley, but not the other way around.

As for the loopie/woopie, check out rwrope, and ask about their clearance "tow ropes". I believe they splice the ends in-house, and could probably just splice it into a loopie instead of an eye-to-eye. Actually just checked and seems they even have non-clearance tow ropes and you can choose from nylon, poly, or even Dyneema, and custom splicing - gotta call though.

Back