Rigging kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSW

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on buying a beefier rigging setup or making my own. After mulling it over more than I care, to the point of not wanting to do either, I started filling up an online cart of steel. Then I took some measurements of my current block and portawrap, tweaked my order a bit and coughed up the dough.

It's going to be a very large and hopefully incredibly strong portawrap and block. I'll experiment with it, take it light and easy in the beginning. Figured I'd take you guys along for the ride if any are interested in these types of projects. Updates when I can.

Now I need a ball buster of a bull rope and a couple slings.

I've been going back and forth on buying a beefier rigging setup or making my own. After mulling it over more than I care, to the point of not wanting to do either, I started filling up an online cart of steel. Then I took some measurements of my current block and portawrap, tweaked my order a bit and coughed up the dough.

It's going to be a very large and hopefully incredibly strong portawrap and block. I'll experiment with it, take it light and easy in the beginning. Figured I'd take you guys along for the ride if any are interested in these types of projects. Updates when I can.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=3&item=1832

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=9044&visible=reviews#detail

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=1908&item=14523#

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=78&item=1240#

Unless you're planning on doing some massive or fancy rigging, you can get by with a 4" block, a couple of 2" pulleys, your porty and a few steel biners. That'll get you going easily. You may have to take smaller pieces, but a lot will depend on the skill of your groundie.

Definitely going with Stable Braid. I'm leaning towards 7/8 right now. I've already got 3/4 Tenex slings, may just stick with those.

Unless you're planning on doing some massive or fancy rigging, you can get by with a 4" block, a couple of 2" pulleys, your porty and a few steel biners. That'll get you going easily. You may have to take smaller pieces, but a lot will depend on the skill of your groundie.

Not really fancy but I'd say big enough. Definitely not something I'm going to use everyday, in fact I'll probably play with it more than I NEED it. It's cheaper than speedboats and sprortscars.

Anybody know the Safe working loads of the slings and heavier rope? They don't seem to share that info as easily. Even if you went on a ratio of the breaking strength I've seen various ratios used on different pieces.

Dynasorb!

Been using the 9/16 and the 5/8 for years and I freaking love my Dynasorb. The 9/16 is the best everyday rope I've ever come across.

You guys ever use any of the 3/4 Dynasorb?

And the 3/4 is freaking expensive. :envy:

This was from a few years back, but shows what we did with the 9/16. Didn't have the 5/8 yet, which I would have used if I did. These were heavy pieces but the 9/16 can handle it. damn good rope!

[URL='https://imgflip.com/i/2l5w2q'] [/URL]

Heard that, expensive and won't get used nearly as much as the smaller lines.

You only live once. I went ahead and ordered some 7/8.

Stable braid. I'll keep Dynasorb in mind, I'm planning to get a new 9/16 or 5/8 line next year.

I schmidt you not, the 9/16 Dynasorb is the Swiss Multitool of ropes. Perfect size for handling, knot tying, weight, and strength. From branches to big wood, it's good for everything. I have 150' in a Rope Boss bag and it's my constant companion.

I co sign dynasorb. It's my go to rope for negitive rigging. I use the 5/8 for some heavy stuff. I'm convinced its saved my butt from lousy or inexperienced groundsman more then one.
Husky brand rope is good rope cheaper priced and similar to dyasorb.

Speaking of negative rigging, not a big fan. For those reasons. May do a bit of it in big wood just because but heavy negative rigging isn't something I do regularly or desire to do regularly.

Its also the hardest to justify.

Got some goodies in the mail!

Expect an update with a picture tomorrow.

If the camera does it any justice at all. You'll understand what i mean by beefy.

Here we have slide number two, simply titled "yeah, we're not ****in' around"IMG_20181102_101217641.jpg

Back