Rigging scales

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigwelder83

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I've got a pretty decent collection of rigging gear. 30kn pulleys, 35kn double blocks. A 5/8 kraken 18k pound bull rope, etc. Trying to see what my safe working load is. Previously was using the method of don't cut off anything you can't carry by hand, but have some larger work booked. Is there any kind of scale I can tie into that with measure accurate loading during rigging?

I bet there is but a green log chart could be real useful and less $$$. It will tell you depending on species and diameter how much a foot of log weighs. Depending on the gear safe work load is 10-20% of the published breaking strength. The complicated part is when you have dynamic forces, not just heavy wood - like you are catching a top, or sections of trunk and they fall a bit before they stop. Maybe there is a scale that measures KiloNewtons?

+1 on Dynamic forces
Angles multiply the apparent forces.
This is part of what we use to train rigging. The electric hoist has an orange scale mounted to it. We use several others with this to show True and Apparent forces from angled sling rigging. You could have a 1ton load on the hoist with two chokes rigged at 45deg each pulling 1,414 lbs on their individual scales. But if you use a spreader bar and rig the two chokers straight down the tension will drop to 1,000lbs each. Darn Physics...
20200922_154521.jpg

I work out of my bucket, and avoid the false crotch rigging when possible, but when your catching a top, you have to. That kn scale is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Even a regular scale would help. The impact load of catch a top probability hinges alot on how the rope tenders catch it as well.

Back