ripping saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys use to rip big wood down into smaller chunks, we were using a 036, then i stuck a 16" bar on my066, oh my! never went through wood like that before! worked really well!

are we talking about when the tree is still standing and we cut wood out. or when you have the stick down, and its a matter of cutting the stick up? my favorite saw for either on the ground cutting, or chunking wood is the stihl 044. however i think that a husky may be a bit better because i think that they are lighter than the stihls.

I use a 088 with 21 inch bar 3/8 chain and an 8 rim for trees up to 40 inches.If it's larger than that I switch back to a 28 inch .404 bar and chain combo,both make short work blocking and bucking trees.:D Dan

Husky 372 XP is a great general purpose saw. Light and powerful. I think Stihls are over rated, Alot of parts and hard to work on. Huskys are alot cheaper too.

i like stihls because they have a saw for about every purpose, im sure huskys do to, i started with stihl and all ive have ever used, probley becuase my dealer is great, only problem is i end up with alot of saws! i believe im an addict! i have: 066,044,2-036,2-026,2-019,009 and a ht-75 pole saw! the only thing that is not stihl is my 2260 power pruner by echo, bought it of a buddy used.

I split wood now so I dont have to rip any more, assuming you mean cutting with along the grain and getting big strings of sawdust. For a while I had some semi-skip full-chisle cut down for a 20 inch bar I had on an 046M It eemed to clean out better and not bog.

Bucking big stuff (cross cut) I use up to a 36 in bar, but that is a little too big for the 064 I have. Even semi-skip full-chisle makes it complain. Probibly go down 6 in this fall when we start removing alot.

Never cut down through the top of a log, all it does is dull the saw, and make you sneeze with that powdery dust.

sure, first i disk them out with 42" bar in about 12-18" pieces then i rippem in to quarters our smaller as needed with the smaller bar

Latest posts

Back