River birch pruning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the2pvs

Reaction score
River birch trimming?

I have 6 river birches in my back yard ranging from 7 to about 10ft. I'm a complete novice to pruning/trimming. Some have brances from the ground up, two of which have the smaller trees with them. Two seem to have not grown leaves on the top approx. 1.5 ft., one of which lost leaves on close branches near top. These two don't have brances low, but have some odd long ones out of the side. They were planted fall of '99 and I live in what is called the "sandhills" of SC. How should I go about pruning them or should I? Pat:)

Last edited:
Pat,
It sounds like you have a lot going on. First, understand why do you want to prune. Is it to remove dead branches, correct structural problems, remove diseased wood? You can dead wood your trees any time.
Second, read up on the science and art of pruning to get the techincal parts, where to prune and how.
Then check with your local extension office for the best time in your area to prune birch. You don't want to prune when birch borers are active.

Best time to prune these river birches is in the winter when they are dormant and all the leaves wont be in your way to see what you are pruning.

Having never dealt with River Birches in particular, I can only assume that they react the same way as other birches, which is they bleed if pruned in their dormant period. When the sap starts flowing in the spring you may have a BIG problem on your hands. I would check a local nursery to be sure.

Alan

I wish I had room to let some trees grow with branches growing from the ground up , looks great and natural I think. i wouldn't prune anything except crossing/rubbing branches or side shoots that might be starting to compete with the leaders.

All have been wonderful. Took advice. Kept peeling internet layers for more answers. With birches, only prune in late spring after full leave growth-avoids sap problem. The tree tops may be bronze borer, it's a symptom, have to check. Proper fertilizer and water keep them away. And my desire to let them grow naturally seems to be ok. I'll let you know what I find as far as tree pest signs. Thank you all so much. Pat ;)

The river birch (and all non-white barked birches) are rather tolerant to borer. Anyways it is an opertunistic pest. that is it is a problem only if there are other stresses in the tree.

When I see a young tree with crown dieback the first thing I do is look at the base (well, actualy i do this with any tree). Most of the time I will find some problem in the basal area or the root zone. Young tree may be planted too deep or have the string from the burlap still on. This girdling string will choke the tree. I have also found many guy wires embeded in trunks, same problem.

Another thing to think about is siting. A river birch is a lowland plant (hence the name) it wants moist soil. If you are on high ground with the sandy soil you mention, it may be incompatable with the landscape and need frequent irrigation.

I many young river birch fail because they were planted in a mound, high, on an island of a driveway. Low water, high heat, short life.

:( Taking sample to Clemson Research tomorrow, I hope. Hubby is supposed to be off. Trunk seems to be "molting". Horizontal white dashes, then greying, then white peeling, like paper, worst has blackening also. I really don't want to lose the only trees in my yard and in an area that they took so many for new houses. Last year birds finally stayed around. Did the lantanas and got the hummingbirds back too. Any hope on the birches? I'm praying!:angel:

River birch "exfoliate" dramaticly and have black highlights. The mature trunks will tend to dark plated look.

betnig09.jpg

betnig36.jpg

The horizontal dashes sound like sapsucker feeding. I see it alot on this species.

Back