ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Rogue Hunt Clubs

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors!!!' started by Big Red Oaks 4 me, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me Fun with flying wood chips

Where I grew-up and still live, hunters have always been allowed to run deer with dogs. I don’t hunt that way, but I don’t have an issue with decent, law abiding hunters hunting that way. I’ve had to “tolerate” one club for years in the neighborhood, and the last few years, they haven’t been that bad. This year, it’s been horrible. They were shooting from the road yesterday(onto my land), and running into my woods getting dogs. I have also seen some different hunters doing similar things. Come to find out, we have a “new” hunt club in the area, and the “battle” lines between the 2 clubs involves my property. Both clubs are jealous of each other, and we are having to deal with the encroachment and trespass of both. Bad season so far. No game wardens to call, either, as Virginia is short on wardens.

2. blades

blades Addicted to ArboristSite

camera with long range lens is your friend along with with game cams. forward said pictures to proper authorities with your concerns.

Big Red Oaks 4 me likes this.
  3. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

Post it and enforce it hard with zero exceptions. Check the local laws and post it according to those laws so you don't end up with a law suit.
    How much land are you talking about and is it fenced? Post that it is monitored with cameras it will be enforced with no exceptions. Have them towed or have there trucks booted if they are on your posted land.
    You may have to play hard ball but sometimes that the only way to get there attention.
    I fought something very similar and it took some time but once I played hard ball they quit trespassing.
    Post it as a wildlife sanctuary and there is no hunting, no exceptions and you will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.
    The law will not do much unless you keep calling and they will get tired of hearing from you and will come out and put a stop to it, just to stop you from bothering them about it.
    Like I said I cops did nothing for me until I called them 10 times a day.

4. Bobby Kirbos

Bobby Kirbos Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs

... and do be careful. It sounds like you're dealing with idiots that have loaded weapons ...

MechanicMatt and Duce like this.
  5. sb47

Post a sign saying any hunting dogs will be shot on site. You don't have ta actually shoot any of them, just post a sign saying you will.

6. Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me Fun with flying wood chips

You’re right. Some of the local landowners have realized that they can lease their property out to people they don’t even know for hunting rights. These “hunters” usually come from places like Virginia Beach or Richmond, and since none of the locals don’t know them, they behave badly. Then the local club wants to interfere with them by hunting right beside them. My property lies in the “battle” zone. Only possible good thing is that the “new” group only comes to hunt on weekends and holidays, so we do have a little “peace” during the week. I’m just afraid that somebody is going to get shot.

7. sb47

Many don't pay attention to what is down range and will shoot in all directions not knowing there may be a house, barn or cattle on the property.
    If I hunt a property, I google map and see what is where and how far away it is so I'm not shooting in the direction of a house hidden in the wood.

MechanicMatt likes this.
  8. Jed1124

Jed1124 Addicted to ArboristSite

Call the game warden and tell them if they won’t enforce no trespassing on your property, you will.
    That’ll get em down there....

MechanicMatt likes this.
  9. dmb2613

dmb2613 Addicted to ArboristSite

I quit hunting 20 years ago , Folks can be good people 10 months out of the year and turn into nuts for 2 months. But You best not shoot a dog here in Virginia and let someone find out about it , you would end up paying for the dog and maybe a jail term.
    Hunters that own land do better than the ones that don't own but an acre or two.

10. sb47

I wouldn't shoot a dog for no reason, I would post a sign saying I would, but not actually do it.
    Here in Texas if a dog comes on your property and kills any of your animals or is aggressive to people, it's fair game to shoot them. I have had my dog shot for killing someones chickens and I have shot dogs doing the same on my property. They first get a warning to keep them off my property, but if they don't heed the warning there dog disappears.
    We use to catch poachers on our property all the time up at the deer camp. People would trespass and build stands and set up feeders like they owned the place. Some people have no respect for someone's property.
    We even has some call the sheriff on us calming we were the trespassers. They would break into our cabin and act like they owned the place. Most of those went to jail and had there guns and trucks confiscated when my dad would press charges.

MechanicMatt likes this.
  11. sb47

I don't hunt anymore ether other then squirrel's and pest.