Rolling big rounds down hill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smacktooth

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I’ve got this “job” processing a big tree for my sons preschool. There’s going to be quite a few rounds 24”-30” that I want to move down the hill to split and stack near the house. Trying to decide the best way to go about it. I could just split it all where it lies now, but that seems like more work loading it in wheelbarrow and moving it down to where it will be stacked. A truck/trailer could only get about 1/2 the distance it needs to go, so that doesn’t seem worth it. There is a relatively smooth trail that goes down to the stacking area, shorter than going around on the drive. Total distance is maybe 300 yards. Here’s my ideas, curious what y’all do in similar situation.

1) strap a round to a furniture dolly,
2) old lawn mower handle, big screws in side of round, giant Flintstones wheel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’ve got this “job” processing a big tree for my sons preschool. There’s going to be quite a few rounds 24”-30” that I want to move down the hill to split and stack near the house. Trying to decide the best way to go about it. I could just split it all where it lies now, but that seems like more work loading it in wheelbarrow and moving it down to where it will be stacked. A truck/trailer could only get about 1/2 the distance it needs to go, so that doesn’t seem worth it. There is a relatively smooth trail that goes down to the stacking area, shorter than going around on the drive. Total distance is maybe 300 yards. Here’s my ideas, curious what y’all do in similar situation.

Pics might help, furnitures dolly won’t work on soft ground.

Yeah hand truck, that’s what I meant! My wheel barrow also has solid two wheels, but don’t fancy lifting the rounds into it! Ground is reasonably Firm on the trail, but I could go around on the driveway and around the house if that proves to be an issue. I will get some pics and post next I go there, Tuesday probably

Will do for sure. Will definitely be bucking them up to 16” length before moving at least, maybe noodle in half. We’ll see how it goes.

Is your smooth trail relatively straight. Even if not, why not just shove them off the edge and let’m roll til they stop. The reset them and do it again. And again, etc until they're at the bottom. Ive done that through rocky and brushy woods. Let gravity be your friend. Try a couple and see what you think. Bit of work but beats your other options imho. Course you need to trim branch stubs off to minimize crooked rolling. Just sayin

:D

Haha yeah that’s the ticket! Although in this situation, the trail doesn’t go Straight down hill, sort of contours along the side and around. So I’m afraid left to their own devices the rounds will veer off into the woods of deep pine needles and many small trees and be quite difficult to deal with then.

So I’m afraid left to their own devices the rounds will veer off into the woods

Just strap your phone to it. Apple probably also has one of those "find your phone" features.
Safes time retrieving your log.

And don't forget to first start video recording.
If the phone survives please upload the content.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I like the Flintstone idea.

Squint really hard hard while gauging the wind. Get the kids outside. Yell hey, watch this! Then give the round a kick.

Nothing goes together like 300lb rounds and small children.

Just strap your phone to it. Apple probably also has one of those "find your phone" features.
Safes time retrieving your log.

And don't forget to first start video recording.
If the phone survives please upload the content.

hahaha now yer talkin. Sad part is I now actually kinda wanna do it with my old phone...
Hey I've got a LifeProof case, it would be great advertising for them if it did survive.

I’m all about the hand truck, but I’m dying to see a giant oak log bolted to a push mower handle.....
Alright that settles it, I gotta try it for a least one. and yes well make sure to document. In fact I should probably applied for a patent before I even made this tread...ya'll don't be stealing my million $ idea now!

I’m all about the hand truck, but I’m dying to see a giant oak log bolted to a push mower handle.....
Leave the handle on the mower, poke the log through the handle, resting log on the motor. Screw the top of the handle to the top of the log. drag it down the hill. Extra points if is a walk-behind/self propelled mower. Double extra points if videoed and posted on here.

Another option, find two car bonnets, preferably not in use, one for each end of the log, then skid it down the hill. Set any number of pulley blocks (and heaps of rope) and walk the log or large chunks thereof, down the hill using just your body weight.

Last summer I had a customer who had a number of Pine trees that he wanted removed. The largest was 48'' plus with the rest of them 30''. More than a 100' to the nearest road above and a 150' to the nearest road below. They also were 200'' from the diagonally away from the side of the property. So I used the largest log as a retaining wall to move the wood with a wheel barrel style device for moving rounds up to 300 lbs then quartered the rest. The side of the property was adjacent to a county road with traffic. Letting a round or quartered section of wood roll onto the county road was not an option. Even if a section of wood hit a pickup it could cause injury. At the time I had no other source for Pine. So my plan revolved around me stretching about 80' of chain link fencing with a 7/16'' cable on the top and bottom to direct the wood to a catch basin on the edge of the road. Once it was set up was a little fun to let the stuff roll. Thanks

Attachments

• KIMG0049.jpg
    KIMG0049.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 1530591200846 (1).jpg
    1530591200846 (1).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 15
  • 1530591202416 (1).jpg
    1530591202416 (1).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 16
Back