• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Root whiz west bend 820 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poulan_man85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently was offered to buy a root whiz chainsaw with an 820 west bend motor, believed to be from late 50's to very early 60's anyway I am not sure if i should have passed up this deal and if anyone is possibly looking for one of these please message me, it is a fairly clean running saw, fair amount of paint loss but overall clean, the engine is very clean, he was gonn pull the motor for vintage cart then decided not too, any insight would be greatly appreciated and hopefully I can find a proper home for this old girl. received_148420225993715.png

How peculiar. This is my chainsaw in the photo. And its also my photo as well. The saw isnt sold because i didn't sell it yet. It is a 1962 root whiz saw. With the west bend 820 engine. Its 8.2 cubic inches. (135cc) 12 hp. It is one of the rarest saws ever made. Probably the only saw that came with the WB 820. I bought it in up state NY. From the original owner he was in his 90s. And used it on a regular basis since 1962. He had a close call with it. That is when he decided to sell it. The saw is extremely ferocious. I bought it because i was going to use the motor on a vintage go kart actually the original go-kart 1961 go-kart 800. Until I found out how rare it was and I didn't have the heart to dismember the chainsaw.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1556090387944.jpg
    FB_IMG_1556090387944.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 21
I spoke with you about about buying the saw from you some time ago, i posted this on here hoping to find someone who was interested and could pass the info along but for whatever reason we lost contact.

Actually i dont think we could agree on a price for myself to buy it and when i tried to reach out for other collectors to pass along the sale they were not interested in the pricepoint either.

...It is one of the rarest saws ever made. Probably the only saw that came with the WB 820...

Lancaster, Hoffco, Indian, Wards and Whitehead also used the famous WB820 engine in some of their saws. Definitely highly sought after machines, for both collectors and racers. Here's my Lancaster 820:

I recently was offered to buy a root whiz chainsaw with an 820 west bend motor, believed to be from late 50's to very early 60's anyway I am not sure if i should have passed up this deal and if anyone is possibly looking for one of these please message me, it is a fairly clean running saw, fair amount of paint loss but overall clean, the engine is very clean, he was gonn pull the motor for vintage cart then decided not too, any insight would be greatly appreciated and hopefully I can find a proper home for this old girl. View attachment 646372
20191120_093715.jpg

Back