Roots Lumberjack Chainsaw with AH-81 engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left one is a Barker Super C80, right one is a Mono 7. I'd have to get my David Bradley down from the wall to see what it has.
47dca4e0820034c22e82ed66531b272e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Check on vintage kart forums or search just Power Products AH81 engine. They aren't an especially rare powerplant. The manifolds from the carb into the case should be fairly easy to come by. The elbow in front of the carb, if you are comfortable with brazing or welding, could probably be replicated with out too much difficulty.

I will resurrect this saw!

Attachments

• IMG_0090.JPEG
    IMG_0090.JPEG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IOSA4664.JPG
    IOSA4664.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • ANYU2168.JPG
    ANYU2168.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
No carb help, but I find the data plate comical. "Remove carbon from muffler and exhaust holes every 50 hours."

Data plates on today's saws, "Compliance period: 50 hours"

I know the difference, I just think it's symbolic of the time we live in (which would be a discussion for a thread in a different sub-forum).
Old school, maintain it, keep it running, fix it when it breaks. Now, when it breaks, throw it away and get a new one.

I put everything back together and was able to get it started for a few seconds and then died and now she lost spark. I cleaned the points before starting as you can see in the attached pic. The saw had great spark before starting and now nothing.

I have no idea where to go from here. Is it possible that there is a replacement ignition system I could get for this?

Any help for the Tecumseh AH81 experts?

Attachments

• IMG_0093.JPEG
    IMG_0093.JPEG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Did you physically take the points out and clean them. Did you clean them with that dollar bill or
gap them with it. Either way that is wrong. I always take the points out and sand them on a piece
of glass with 400 grit wet dry paper then 800 grit then 1000 grit. Reinstall them and gap to .020.

I gaped to .020 and the points looked clean, so I used the dollar bill to semi-polish them b/c that's all I had at the time. I know that's probably not the proper way to do it but could that actually be the problem? I didn't want to take it that far apart in fear of damaging the old 50yr old plastic. I really don't know all that much about point systems. The strange thing is that I had good spark up until it ran for a few seconds and then....nothing no spark. Everything still looks good to me.

I bought a vintage old stock condenser off of fleabay since it was available. I hope that it fixes the problem!

I hope that the Coil is not the problem as I cant find a model number on it. I don't know if there is a way to test any of the parts. I cant find anything on the Repco F-2120 as far as assembly replacements either.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could find replacement parts? Or anything else I could try?

Thanks for all the help!
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2013.JPG
    IMG_2013.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2025.JPG
    IMG_2025.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2022.JPG
    IMG_2022.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
REPCO is same as Phelon or Wico.

Looks very much like the one used on Homelite C-5 types.

Do you know the model numbers that will work on a Tecumseh AH-81 ?

There's a coil in this group of parts.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132833113686

The Power Products/Tecumseh part number is 610-371.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I dont this ebay Coil looks anything like mine. I dont know how it would bolt on or work

Do the magnets in the flywheel feel strong? I like to spray some electrical parts cleaner on the points. As long as you see shiny metal on the contacts they should be fine.

Magnets seem fine as they pull a screw-diver from a half inch away. Also cleaned with electrical cleaner but still nothing.

It really sucks taking this thing apart over and over.

Im guessing this will just become a wall hanger sooner than I wanted. Just would love to see this thing run again.

Back