Rope and pulley size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there a reason not to use half inch rope in a 5/8” pulley? Newb at climbing and want to take care of some of my own trees.

Is there a reason not to use half inch rope in a 5/8” pulley? Newb at climbing and want to take care of some of my own trees.

Your post may be a big issue with safety. A smaller rope in a larger pulley is more likely to jam so extra care needs to be taken. For climbers the typical approach is a high quality climbing rope designed to slide over a branch. Are there other other options yes. Thanks

Thanks, I pretty much assumed that. I have a tree with multiple branches over a garage I need to get out of the way before I try to pull it over/down. I've been sawing on trees for about 20 years and have a fair idea of what things weigh, shock load, and a good idea of what WLL is for my ropes,beeners, .Don't plan on making a living out of this. Too old. Just wanted to know if it was stupid to use half inch inch rope in 5/8 pulley. Seems to me it shouldn't be a problem. I need to get some lower limbs off this tree so I can get the upper weight of the tree balanced in my favor for the fall direction. Thanks for the thoughts , appreciate it.

I generally don't because I just always rig with 5/8 as it makes it real easy to differentiate my climb line from the rigging line even by feel, but I have put half inch line through a 5/8" pulley before with no issues.

I wouldn't do it on a climb line as a friction reducing solution...I don't want that getting bound up ever even if it's highly unlikely. For rigging it's less important IMO. Especially since if I'm using .5" rope for rigging it's light stuff and probably not over a target of any kind.

One other thing, I do 95% of my removals with 1/2" stable braid and the rest with either 5/8" or 3/4" for the trunk wood. No need to use a heavier line than necessary and I have lines up to 1".

I got myself some 5/8 pulleys thinking they would be ok for 1/2" rope and in case I need to go up to 5/8 rope for a project I would have the pulleys. I don't plan on being 70 ' in the air
chuking out big stuff. That would be time for me to hire somebody who knew what they were doiing.

Back