Rope protector/cambium saver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'll have to search online. I bought some of the conduit last Summer but the ground cones I remember someone saying were not available in quantities less than 100. Buying the whole 5333 connector is about $5 extra for each ground cone.

Ok, it used to be $3 a piece but then again I haven't bought the whole connector in 3 years. I found an electrical supply house who convinced a T&B salesman to give them a bag of the just the endcaps/ground cones. I'm still reusing those. I'll hate to do it but I'll probably have to end up buying 100 of just the endcaps, I keep giving savers away to friends and I'm running low. When I do buy 100 I'll let people know so we can split up the booty. I would never use 100 myself.

If you're just making a couple of savers it still comes out less then buying them ready made.
-moss

Last edited:
Chiming in here...as a recipient of one of Moss's conduit savers, I can attest to how well it works for rec climbing!

It is way easier to install from the ground than the normal ring/ring saver that I use for work climbing, it stays in place just fine when moving around and has less chance of getting stuck when retrieving.

It also works just fine in the cold!:)

I posted this on TCI and will post it here. These NOS connectors have the desired ends (ground cones) in them for the ultra-flexible metal conduit...

Ebay Item

Last edited:
That's a good price Dave, 4 units per lot so essentially $2 per end "ferrule". 99.9% of arborist climbers don't use this type of sleeve but thanks for posting it. The only part i hate is throwing out all that machined metal just to get the end cap.
-moss

Check out youtube, there are a few ideas on there about this subject. Moss has this dialed!

Last edited:
hii

I did go back through some old post on this subject and found someone said the leather cambium saver wears out rather quickly. I'm leaning toward the friction saver because that is really the way I want to go but like I said I was hoping for a cheat.

Apparel Accessories

In a pinch i have used foam sleeping pads like you use if you go camping as a cambium/rope saver depending on your intended use you sometimes have to double up so they don't burn threw, it is easy to duck tape them around a limb if you are trying to use a limb as a pulley i have also used cardboard many times on tryolean traverses where i didn't want to damage a healthy tree or didn't want to chafe a rope on a tree that was coming down

Tom

Front support viewpoint ,hopes under everybody many publications the unique viewpoint

Back