Ropensaddle,s world Arkansas style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, its a supposed lightening struck tree. The sound the lady heard might have been the pole splitting in a wind storm. I saw what could have been lightening strike marks but the were not burned. They could have been stress fissures from the force the wind was whipping it.

Only a few pieces of bark were strewn opposed to a lightening strike that would most likely be more drastic. The bark that did get thrown , about 25 feet, could have been thrown from the force of the splitting instead of being blown out by explosion.

I'll just run up there and nail it on the way down.

curious about your bucket truck

Hey Rope,

I am curious if your lower boom on your bucket truck goes over center, and if not, does it limit you much in what you can do? Up here in Vancouver, BC there are some cheap used hydro boom trucks that don't go over center and I am considering buying one for my tree business. I do not have a bucket truck and I'm thinking any bucket truck is better than nothing. I am looking at a 45 foot WH truck that is not over center. It is a decent truck and only costs about $7,500. I am hoping it will be somewhat helpful, even though it does not go very high and it's not over center. Do you think I'm wasting my time considering such a truck, or should I hold out for an over center?

Hey Rope,

I am curious if your lower boom on your bucket truck goes over center, and if not, does it limit you much in what you can do? Up here in Vancouver, BC there are some cheap used hydro boom trucks that don't go over center and I am considering buying one for my tree business. I do not have a bucket truck and I'm thinking any bucket truck is better than nothing. I am looking at a 45 foot WH truck that is not over center. It is a decent truck and only costs about $7,500. I am hoping it will be somewhat helpful, even though it does not go very high and it's not over center. Do you think I'm wasting my time considering such a truck, or should I hold out for an over center?

Conlan my bucket is a 5pbi high ranger the lower boom goes just a little past center but the upper is what means over center to me. Mine is not over center and I could care less. I have run both they both have some advantages I think the 45 foot range would be more limiting in my trees. Mine is 52 foot from platform giving me 60 foot reach and I still climb out a good bit! Any bucket will help just make sure it is safe imo.

Conlan my bucket is a 5pbi high ranger the lower boom goes just a little past center but the upper is what means over center to me. Mine is not over center and I could care less. I have run both they both have some advantages I think the 45 foot range would be more limiting in my trees. Mine is 52 foot from platform giving me 60 foot reach and I still climb out a good bit! Any bucket will help just make sure it is safe imo.

004-1.jpg

To me too. At least there's some good rigging points in the other trees near it. Too bad ya can't wear spikes though.

I am planning to rope climb up the one tree the huck off the top of the broken one then slip on my Forest Gumps to wittle the trunk down.
Its not that nasty, its very readable and plenty of rig points.

I am planning to rope climb up the one tree the huck off the top of the broken one then slip on my Forest Gumps to wittle the trunk down.
Its not that nasty, its very readable and plenty of rig points.

The wind was blowing the one side around pretty good, it was hanging in well though its being kinda supported by another tree. Its not hung up, it moves back and forth, I did secure it to the tree it was leaning on so it wouldn't flop around.
There are about enough tips so I could set ropes with a throwline and cut the whole thing at the bottom but climbing up there and roping it down seems like a better option.
I had it tied so I can work the tops out then allow the trunk to spring back to its original position in stead of letting the trunk move as I make cuts to get the top out.

your new setup is that NEOPRO rope or tachyon

and is that a customized blakes hitch?

I was wondering if you were still alive Ropes. Don't go to low on the bids and be ready to take cover buddy.

Here is lightening struck poplar, the bolt took out a bunch of internet and cable systems. The tree is on the property of one of my clients, I secured it with lines set from the ground and will plan to handle it soon. Even with my knee in post-op condition I can get that on the ground.

015.jpg

Ropes don't care much for poplar lol:cheers:

Lol I have arrived and it is pure bliss, them damn youngsters better watch out fer this old man lol!

004-3.jpg

bout time man, now get ya a big shot and cube if ya don't have em.

If you plan to use that gri gri set up in the tree.....put it on yer belt and just have a temp set up on the machine and send down the whole works and have the gm (wifey) get the whole mess outta the way and get to work.

As for the porty....bit of over kill.....just put the non machine end around the tree on a running bolen (have the long end on the machine) and then when you get up thare....you can lower down the machine (you got the short end after the gm unties the bolen) while the gm guides your loved one away from bangin into anythin and maybe putting a little scratch on her.

You think you love it now just wait til you been up it a couple hundred times like I have and the love grows even deeper.

Goin up a big tree any other way is for cavemen.

If you plan to use that gri gri set up in the tree.....put it on yer belt and just have a temp set up on the machine and send down the whole works and have the gm (wifey) get the whole mess outta the way and get to work.

As for the porty....bit of over kill.....just put the non machine end around the tree on a running bolen (have the long end on the machine) and then when you get up thare....you can lower down the machine (you got the short end after the gm unties the bolen) while the gm guides your loved one away from bangin into anythin and maybe putting a little scratch on her.

You think you love it now just wait til you been up it a couple hundred times like I have and the love grows even deeper.

Goin up a big tree any other way is for cavemen.

lol gots me a big shot and cube bro the gri gri is my buckstrap as i find it best suited for my taste! I just use my regular drt with split tail tied and ready when I arrive aloft. I liked the idea of rescue being able to lower me should need arise! Plus 200 on caveman it makes it so easy a caveman could do it lol:)

Question vet do you get much cool factor appeal? I mean neighborhood watchers etc come ask about it etc? Have you sold jobs because its cool? I know it will allow more energy to get more done and faster but figured the cool factor may help to sell work!

Last edited:
lol gots me a big shot and cube bro the gri gri is my buckstrap as i find it best suited for my taste! I just use my regular drt with split tail tied and ready when I arrive aloft. I liked the idea of rescue being able to lower me should need arise! Plus 200 on caveman it makes it so easy a caveman could do it lol:)

Question vet do you get much cool factor appeal? I mean neighborhood watchers etc come ask about it etc? Have you sold jobs because its cool? I know it will allow more energy to get more done and faster but figured the cool factor may help to sell work!

Ho's are just blinded with awe watching you go up on it. Fri I took down a big sug maple that was totally rotted in base and cracked and laying in another maple.

On the way up I knocked off all the branches while idling....then I had my gm put a wall hauler in a tree opposite it and run a rope thru it and send it up to me and I tied it on broken tree I was in and he cinched it up like a zip tie.

then I arrived up top and blew out all the top with cuts that speared in the ground right next to nbor's house....chunked it down while gm cinched up wall hauler. All 4 nbor's just stopped working in yard and watched and when I got down the son that just bought the half a mill house came over and replayed everything I did.:bowdown:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Ho's are just blinded with awe watching you go up on it. Fri I took down a big sug maple that was totally rotted in base and cracked and laying in another maple.

On the way up I knocked off all the branches while idling....then I had my gm put a wall hauler in a tree opposite it and run a rope thru it and send it up to me and I tied it on broken tree I was in and he cinched it up like a zip tie.

then I arrived up top and blew out all the top with cuts that speared in the ground right next to nbor's house....chunked it down while gm cinched up wall hauler. All 4 nbor's just stopped working in yard and watched and when I got down the son that just bought the half a mill house came over and replayed everything I did.:bowdown:

:hmm3grin2orange:

What i figured lol I already love the damn thing but I get to use it soon lol five tall trees lol:cheers: 95 to 100 footers ahhhhhhhhh squeeze trigger lol:cheers:

What i figured lol I already love the damn thing but I get to use it soon lol five tall trees lol:cheers: 95 to 100 footers ahhhhhhhhh squeeze trigger lol:cheers:

You earned it and you deserve it buddy. I went up 3 trees Sat with it and the third one late in the day I woulda never done it that day, totally dead ash, if I had to hump up it.

congrats.:clap:

You earned it and you deserve it buddy. I went up 3 trees Sat with it and the third one late in the day I woulda never done it that day, totally dead ash, if I had to hump up it.

congrats.:clap:

I just wish they had em thirty years ago:) Thanks don't know if i deserve it but I did earn it lol. I think it will prolong my climbing days!

Also I believe it will be used to save wear on my aging bucket truck lol. I will only use bucket when its the best solution now!

I thought the same thing about the porty. For srt I run the tail around the spar with a carabiner. Once you reach your tip pull up the carabiner, wrap your prussik and off to work you go. I'd be at my tip before you got eight wraps on the porty let alone lowered that weed eater to the ground. Congrats, you and vet are rocking the rascals of the tree care world.

Well I can climb faster than the set up takes myself mr w h but see then the next and next and next lol! So by the fourth tree I'm ahead and less fatigued than you:)

I used it on job today 97 foot bean pole pine tall skinny bastid I started it at 11 and was done by 11:30 and that is not bad. I did not even sweat but the wind was 25 lol:cheers:
Theen banged out a 68 foot oak using speedline limb hung up so came down cut it then raptored my azz right back up lol two removals done by 12:30 and felt spry as a newborn:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back