Roper 3.7 tear down and rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got one the other day and I will dive into it pretty soon to get it going. It's been many years since I touched one of these 3.7's. I just had to have this one when it was offered to me by another fine member who picked it up for me.

DSCF3340.JPG

Looks like this thread hit a wall. Good reading, up to this point. Don't Spose there's any news about black plastic air cleaner cover? I have 3 for my three 3.7's, but would like one more good one. There's a junk one on ebay, but not interested.

Attachments

• Airfilter cover 917-353760.jpg
    Airfilter cover 917-353760.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
I have a box of 3.7 parts that was given to me. Anyone have any interest? As I recall, there are no pistons or cylinders.

No charge—I would only need buyer to cover shipping. Anyone interested?

Looks like this thread hit a wall. Good reading, up to this point. Don't Spose there's any news about black plastic air cleaner cover? I have 3 for my three 3.7's, but would like one more good one. There's a junk one on ebay, but not interested.
I see you are close by. What is a low hour good running 3.7 worth in our area? I picked up one with a batch of other saws. It doesn't fit in my collection. Thanks.

I have a box of 3.7 parts that was given to me. Anyone have any interest? As I recall, there are no pistons or cylinders.

No charge—I would only need buyer to cover shipping. Anyone interested?

Is this parts for the early model? Looks like the Massey Ferguson above? Takes the air cleaner cover like I show on my knee.

I see you are close by. What is a low hour good running 3.7 worth in our area? I picked up one with a batch of other saws. It doesn't fit in my collection. Thanks.
Just missed that one on Ebay, all complete, for 50.00. Spending money on my GL1800 Goldwing right now, or I'd be interested. What model is it ? Sears, Roper, Massey brand? Bob

Just missed that one on Ebay, all complete, for 50.00. Spending money on my GL1800 Goldwing right now, or I'd be interested. What model is it ? Sears, Roper, Massey brand? Bob
Craftsman 3.7 powersharp. I took the powersharp off but have it in a box. I think the saw has the original bar. I would be glad to trade for some thing running or not.

Is this parts for the early model? Looks like the Massey Ferguson above? Takes the air cleaner cover like I show on my knee.

I believe it’s mostly for the other one (at least, that’s the one I had). The larger, fatter looking one that is more round. I definitely did NOT have the one shaped like the Massey above.

I guess I could stop being lazy and go into the garage when I get home and take some pictures...

I need advise.. Have a 3.7 ROPER not getting any oil to the chain. That's a problem but not an immediate concern. Bought a carcuss for the manual override, popped the cap on my good saw only to find a smooth hole.. Question is???? Wait for it.. Is that a sleeve? Do I tap it? Do I put the lid back on the hole and worry no more.. Whataya think? Pros.. Thanks in advance.. K

This is what my oil lines look like with manual oiler.
379841119fe24834270614c24b2b99c6.jpg

Steve

That "oiler" in airbox, is actually an on-off valve to stop oil flow at idle. Your problems with oil may almost certainly be duckbill valves. They get hard and distorted. You might want to read this whole thread, to get more up to date on oiler problems. The oil flow is achieved one of 2 ways. The manual oiler, which has it's own duckbill, and crankcase pressure, which is controlled/trapped by a cpl. more duckbill's. One of those copper tubes is the source of crankcase pressure, which has a fitting type duckbill at casting by manual oil pump bore.

That "oiler" in airbox, is actually an on-off valve to stop oil flow at idle. Your problems with oil may almost certainly be duckbill valves. They get hard and distorted. You might want to read this whole thread, to get more up to date on oiler problems. The oil flow is achieved one of 2 ways. The manual oiler, which has it's own duckbill, and crankcase pressure, which is controlled/trapped by a cpl. more duckbill's. One of those copper tubes is the source of crankcase pressure, which has a fitting type duckbill at casting by manual oil pump bore.
That would be inside the starter housing? Manual oil pump bore.. Thanks for the kick in the right direction.. I will start at the start of this thread.. ROPER is a little different critter than I'm used to

Latest posts

Back