Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... Only reason it still semi standing is that it is leaning on the stack. It's stacked about 8 1/2 ft high.

Hola ... I think we have a winner in this thread!!!

That is a huge amount of of wood for personal use.... it is for personal use, right..? Kinda like some of us about saws and ammo... ha ha!!!

I didn't think I'd ever have to say this but, have thought of putting more wood in that one shed? Use it as a structual support system, problem solved!!

Keep on ... Runnin' Loads!!

Hola ... I think we have a winner in this thread!!!

That is a huge amount of of wood for personal use.... it is for personal use, right..? Kinda like some of us about saws and ammo... ha ha!!!

I didn't think I'd ever have to say this but, have thought of putting more wood in that one shed? Use it as a structual support system, problem solved!!

Keep on ... Runnin' Loads!!

Yes, just personal use as we don't sell. dad uses about 8 cord a year at their house and I'm about 13 cord. When I was a kid we were scrounging as we didn't have our own land. we did dead cleanups and fencerows to get a ahead. A neighbor lady let us take the dead out of her woods but wanted no live trees cut so we couldn't make driveways. We ran it all out with a lawnmower and trailer which was fun for me as I got to drive and unload while Dad was cutting. Once we did a fencerow for another farmer word spread like wild fire as we treated his land like our own. Walked in when wet, windrowed the brush out in the field and cut everything to at least 2 inches in diameter. We hauled out when it was dry or froze. Phone kept ringing with other farmers wanting us to do theirs. A lesson for those on here if you need a wood source.

As time went on, Dad got a farm as did I and now we can't keep up with weather damage and dead stuff. It's a nice problem to have though. ;)

Dad's farm has a lot of big stuff on it so one tree adds up fast.

beech%20and%20truck.JPG

Wind blew the top out of this one and it yielded 15 cord till it was done. Tree was over 400 years old.

sycamore.JPG

This one is still going strong.

MVC-022S_7.JPG

Can you say a healthy Sycamore?

Back to boring ol' trailer loads. Nice mix of ash, locust, oak, hickory, and maybe cherry. Not a bad one in the bunch.

Had a good time with FIL in the woods yesterday clearing his trails. I ran the saw and he ran the tractor to move the logs. At the end of the day I got to run the tractor to load the trailer from a pile of logs he cut a couple years ago. One more trailer load left in the pile, but lots more in his woods. 20171125_074335.jpg

Going way back in this thread....
Not much of a motor head here... I never knew they put the 300 straight 6 in a f250.
My first car was a Mercury Comet with a 300 straight 6. Not much low in speed but would do quite well on the top end.
The front end was bad to "float".... So, I cant say how fast it would have gone.

David

Not much of a motor head here... I never knew they put the 300 straight 6 in a f250.
My first car was a Mercury Comet with a 300 straight 6. Not much low in speed but would do quite well on the top end.
The front end was bad to "float".... So, I cant say how fast it would have gone.

David
My friend in HS had a F250 with 300. It would beat many V8 trucks up to 65 mph or so but I don't think it could go over 85.

David
Comet had a 200 or 250 six, if not a 170 or possibly a 144. The 300 was never available in the Comet or other small Ford products.

The 300 six was exclusively a truck or industrial engine and was a different family than the small six cylinder family.

The 300 did have a smaller displacement version of the same architecture, the 240, which was available in the Galaxy and F100 pickups.

The 300 was available in trucks as large as the F600.

I ran a load today, this one,

standard.jpg

And it came from about 2/3 of this log, the BIG end!

standard.jpg

Anyway, A tornado had blew it over, and I had cut all the limb/firewood off it a year ago, now it was time to get the trunk wood.

I kept the front 8' 6" for a saw log so I cut it off and skidded it out,

standard.jpg

Then cleaned up the rest of the log a bit, put the winch line on it, cut it off and skidded it out! AND what a log it was!

standard.jpg

Once I had it skidded out where I could deal with it, I had my helper mark it out every 20" and we started cutting!

We cut 2/3's of the way through from one side, but we only cut "all the way through" at 40"'. My helper used my J-red 2260, and I was using my NEW Husky 562xp, both GREAT saws!

Anyway, I then lifted the 40" pieces up onto the wagon, where my helper finished the 20" cuts,

standard.jpg

Here you can see, it was a fairly big red oak,

standard.jpg

And here's the NEW 562, (with a used bar on it)

standard.jpg

Next will be to get all those big blocks split!

SR

Sawyer, I bought a 3rd forklift fork to put in the middle. It works really good for cutting like you are doing and your grapple arm can be up out of the way to finish the cut. Much safer when cutting big blocks as one half stays on the forks and the other half falls onto the ground or into the trailer.

cantoo, What I did was cut 2/3's of the way through the log while it was "on the ground", then I sat the blocks on the wagon and we finished the cut there...

For as heavy as those blocks are, it was the safest way to cut them, and also, that way nothing was in the way of the "finish" cut...

SR

For some reason I was thinking you would still have them on the forks for the final cut but you would just set them in the trailer and then finish the cut. I guess it would be up to do the cut though. I never have help so I'm always trying ways to make it better for me and of course safer. I use the third fork all the time when cutting logs into rounds on the forks. I was using all 3 today to move some stones around too.

Back