Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barn door burban love it
That suburban is awesome
Thanks!! I try not to plug up this thread with my personal toys but I’m the OP ... what am I gona do?? Throw myself out ...

It was an 89 V1500 that I bought sorta as you see the paint and basic lift and tire rim package, 2K and it barely rolled up on the trailer.
Now 6ish years later she’s a very fun toy that stays together, and turns heads with compliments to match. I take it to local car shows, snow & mud bogs and an event called Al Bensocky’s Filthy Redneck Country Club. Think of that as Trucks Gone Wild in Saskatchewan and we have 20+ TGW guys come up from the southern US for this, 4 days of give R !!!

It’s a tweaked 350 TBI, headers to glass packs & true duals, 465 4 speed & reclocked 241, 60 & 14B, quick lock front & Miller rear, all sitting on top of 12in lift & 21.5x16.1 @ 5psi that are 325 lb each.

Other tidbits are, snorkeled over the roof, full hydro steer with 2.5g tank, electric fans with controller In the cab, all vents are above the hood line, anti wrap bar front and rear, leather seats outa a 2000ish GM, 2 step rev controller, 8274 winch & relocated solenoids under hood with in cab controls, blinky light on the roof that quit, insured & plated as an ORV so I can go anywhere a quad or sled can go in this province.
FB87E88B-A317-4BFB-98BF-6C79672A8819.jpeg
All washed up for a car show
5AE31E01-FA9E-4AE9-80AD-BCAF36D23E85.jpeg
Heading to a winter 4x4 festival in Mb called the Mega Run. 450 km, 270 miles one way for a one day event but it’s the largest in the province so I plan for it every year.

3E3BA565-E54C-4D37-878B-15088AA495EB.jpeg
Making the Winnipeg Free Press for being at the Mega Run!!
6659C7E9-8829-4353-A71A-03258230C330.jpeg
Ya I’m not to impressed with our Prime Minister at the moment and freely share it, there one on the windshield also
E5AC8EE4-DA3B-4C1A-A0E9-679664AB2F56.jpeg
Doing a lil body work to a Honda ...

AFBCF24D-0828-48DA-BE6B-8622702FDABC.jpeg
Me winning a small town mud bog, it ain’t that fast but it makes pass’s. The guy at the door was a German tourist who just went bananas for it, then I took em for a pass through the pit ... I offered him a chance to drive it but he oddly declined.
34AAC80F-EB88-494B-83DE-C1F860A095A1.jpeg
20 min later of me going bat shiet crazy at FRCC !!
Keep on .... Runnin’ Load’s !!

Lots of ways around the DOT I can de-rate my truck to pay less on the registration . But if you get caught over the stated gvrw it's a big fine. Both of my old c20 Chevy's are de-rated so I could put passenger plates on them instead of commercial.
I’m only about 6 pages behind. I was going to say the same thing. When my Dad bought our 72 C30, brand new, he titled it at 17, 000 pounds. It pulled a 16” chipper and an old Vermeer model 10 stump grinder, not old at the time .When I got it the tags were killing me, so I retitled it down to 10,000 pounds, as low as I could go with a duel wheel one ton. Cut the price of tags in half. Wish I still had that one. I found a pic not long ago, I’ll scan and post it for old times sake.

What's the point?

You de-rate it then pull heavier and it's still illegal.

Companies don't like to overstate actual numbers that can be proven or disproven. If a manufacturer says it's good for 16k it's good for 16k.
One reason to chance lowering GVW’s is balancing the fines. My uncle had more and bigger equipment than we did. Our biggest trucks were F600’s, single axle. Did everything we needed. He would title trucks under 26,000 so he wouldn’t have to hire CDL drivers. Save money on payroll. Fine for over weight was less than fine for not having a CDL driver. Wood is much lighter than steel or concrete, so the trucks were well within their capabilities, just not titled to their max. He might be over weight a few times a year, and the fines were based on the overage, if he got caught. He told me they had a grace number that they would let slide. Maybe 500 or 1000 pounds. When my uncle passed and my cousin took over they had a couple cranes they couldn’t title down and had to get a couple CDL drivers. I don’t know if he kept playing the fine game or not.

Been after this particular Oak since last fall after a tornado took it down. It was down a steep slope and it took a telehandler to get my truck unstuck the first time I attempted to retrieve it. Saturday I made it my mission to bring her home. I fit every piece of that tree on the trailer with some careful stacking of the rounds. It was over 30 inches cross at the stump. The truck is a 1 ton with additional air bags and it didn't like this load lol.load1.JPGload2.JPG

Thanks!! I try not to plug up this thread with my personal toys but I’m the OP ... what am I gona do?? Throw myself out ...

It was an 89 V1500 that I bought sorta as you see the paint and basic lift and tire rim package, 2K and it barely rolled up on the trailer.
Now 6ish years later she’s a very fun toy that stays together, and turns heads with compliments to match. I take it to local car shows, snow & mud bogs and an event called Al Bensocky’s Filthy Redneck Country Club. Think of that as Trucks Gone Wild in Saskatchewan and we have 20+ TGW guys come up from the southern US for this, 4 days of give R !!!

It’s a tweaked 350 TBI, headers to glass packs & true duals, 465 4 speed & reclocked 241, 60 & 14B, quick lock front & Miller rear, all sitting on top of 12in lift & 21.5x16.1 @ 5psi that are 325 lb each.

Other tidbits are, snorkeled over the roof, full hydro steer with 2.5g tank, electric fans with controller In the cab, all vents are above the hood line, anti wrap bar front and rear, leather seats outa a 2000ish GM, 2 step rev controller, 8274 winch & relocated solenoids under hood with in cab controls, blinky light on the roof that quit, insured & plated as an ORV so I can go anywhere a quad or sled can go in this province.
View attachment 806381
All washed up for a car show
View attachment 806382
Heading to a winter 4x4 festival in Mb called the Mega Run. 450 km, 270 miles one way for a one day event but it’s the largest in the province so I plan for it every year.

View attachment 806383
Making the Winnipeg Free Press for being at the Mega Run!!
View attachment 806384
Ya I’m not to impressed with our Prime Minister at the moment and freely share it, there one on the windshield also
View attachment 806386
Doing a lil body work to a Honda ...

View attachment 806387
Me winning a small town mud bog, it ain’t that fast but it makes pass’s. The guy at the door was a German tourist who just went bananas for it, then I took em for a pass through the pit ... I offered him a chance to drive it but he oddly declined.
View attachment 806388
20 min later of me going bat shiet crazy at FRCC !!
Keep on .... Runnin’ Load’s !!
Awesome

Oops, I only got one pic of a load. We used the NorTrac to skid the logs out to the trailer. Then used the truck to pull them up on the trailer. I have an 8' gantry we hang a snatch block on, that gets the log half way on, then we flip the line out of the block and pull it the rest of the way up. I might try to get a video next time.

Only takes about a half hour to put a full load on the trailer, and we are getting paid to clean up after a tornado went through. The trees are all through the woods, the only place we can put the trailer is where it is. It would take much longer to buck and bring it out in the bucket than to skid a whole log out. We skid out a log 24' long and cut it into, 3 8' lengths behind the truck. Loading one 6-800 pound log is easier than loading a bunch of quarters, or totaly split wood. Just as easy to unload in log or split form, I push the same little button that says up, pull up 10-12 feet and push the one that says down.

I see. Firewood is secondary, you’re there to do a job.
Yes, sort of. It is a paid for job for a friend of a friend. I'm getting $150 a day and Mike is getting $100. But, I feel the faster we get stuff cleared, the more they will have us come back. I thought Mike said they had 70 or more trees down. I only saw about 30. They are all in the woods, so if they were mine I would have just left them. But, I think the wife likes the woods to look like a park. She did tell Mike she was impressed how much we got out each day. We are taking logs first. When we get to the limb wood it will be cut to size, throw in the bucket and dump on the trailer, which will slow us down a bit. If I were still in business, with a 3-4 man crew, chipper, loader and a 12'dump with 6' sides we would have the whole 7 acres spotless in 3 days, at $2500 a day. So, it is a paid job, but, I'm really not making much. Plus where I split a lot of my wood is on a pretty good slope, with a small level patch for the splitter. I have had big blocks of wood get away and had to hold my breath watching it bounce down the hill toward a neighbors house or car.

I have had big blocks of wood get away and had to hold my breath watching it bounce down the hill toward a neighbors house of car.

Doh!

It’s flat where I split, but I can relate to logs getting away when gathering on National Forest land. Sometimes one of our own trucks would be in the path.

Yes, 6 on 7 1/4 and extraordinarily rare 16in rims.

Another short stack load from this afternoon....

View attachment 806872

Keep on .... Running Load’s !!
When you said the "rare 16" rims" were they the old split rims. My 55 IH R 130 one ton, had 16" split rims, so did my 63 one ton and my Dad's brand new 72 Chevy C30 still had 16" split rims. They all ran 7.50X16 mud and snows, go anywhere. Was that Zogger or White Spider that liked the old bias ply tires?

When you said the "rare 16" rims" were they the old split rims. My 55 IH R 130 one ton, had 16" split rims, so did my 63 one ton and my Dad's brand new 72 Chevy C30 still had 16" split rims. They all ran 7.50X16 mud and snows, go anywhere. Was that Zogger or White Spider that liked the old bias ply tires?
That would be white spider.

Bonus points for bias ply with split rims!

Latest posts

Back