Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut and split up 3 of these trailer loads today. Man I am out of shape! View attachment 870531View attachment 870530
Also had to drain and clean the SuperSplit fuel tank. Would not start in the morning. Damn squirrels chewed on the fuel cap.
View attachment 870532
Fuel cap is plastic? See more and more rodent damage to plastic specially the insulation on wiring in newer cars and trucks. While it's good for the environment using soy bean based plastics has its pitfalls

Had a little snow last week, and a forecast for more next week. So, it's about time to remove the grapple and mount up the plow. For today that means dragging sections of this double trunk dead Red Oak out of the woods.

View attachment 873551
I hate to but tomorrow the plows going on the Dodge. 8 to 12 inches possibly more predicted for here

Late 2019 I got sick of loading and unloading flat top trailers with wood. It took extra time processing logs to allow easy offload, then of course onload, offload, etc. Figured I would build a truck so that I could haul more in a single go, basically eliminate onload and offload times, and haul in log form so the only processing to occur would happen in the wood lot with the splitter.

Found a truck, started into it, and lets just say it became a money pit. Buuuuuuuuttttttttttttttt, now that its done, its multi-purpose and should run the road for another 60 years. Regardless, this big girl was a drain on my account, my time, my marriage, and my sanity. Totally worth it though now at the end state. Plus, its not really just a wood truck either, so it actually makes me money, sometimes just by saving it.

Anyways, here's a "light" load from the other week

GbzIWsD.jpg

tpeCF0O.jpg

JoS5KCa.jpg

Late 2019 I got sick of loading and unloading flat top trailers with wood. It took extra time processing logs to allow easy offload, then of course onload, offload, etc. Figured I would build a truck so that I could haul more in a single go, basically eliminate onload and offload times, and haul in log form so the only processing to occur would happen in the wood lot with the splitter.

Found a truck, started into it, and lets just say it became a money pit. Buuuuuuuuttttttttttttttt, now that its done, its multi-purpose and should run the road for another 60 years. Regardless, this big girl was a drain on my account, my time, my marriage, and my sanity. Totally worth it though now at the end state. Plus, its not really just a wood truck either, so it actually makes me money, sometimes just by saving it.

Anyways, here's a "light" load from the other week

GbzIWsD.jpg

tpeCF0O.jpg

JoS5KCa.jpg
Nic C60

I have the the two 20s and a 10 c series . But I'm looking for a 50 or 60 to make a car carrier out of .

Nic C60

I have the the two 20s and a 10 c series . But I'm looking for a 50 or 60 to make a car carrier out of .
I love these old trucks, but one in good enough condition to rebuild is hard to find, and parts, namely wheels that aren't widow makers, are even harder. But nothing beats split shifting thru the gears in a half century old two ton with a load of logs. Hands down the most fun truck I have and have driven to date. Gets a lot of stares. I love old stovebolts.

I love these old trucks, but one in good enough condition to rebuild is hard to find, and parts, namely wheels that aren't widow makers, are even harder. But nothing beats split shifting thru the gears in a half century old two ton with a load of logs. Hands down the most fun truck I have and have driven to date. Gets a lot of stares. I love old stovebolts.

Pretty sure those are split retainer wheels not widowmakers . Most shops that deal with large trucks will mount tires even on widowmakers . split ring wheel.jpg

Widows are split in the center shown in red here . My C20s came with the three piece rims .
20200319_105244.jpg

Pretty sure those are split retainer wheels not widowmakers . Most shops that deal with large trucks will mount tires even on widowmakers . View attachment 880165

Widows are split in the center shown in red here . My C20s came with the three piece rims .
View attachment 880166
The ones in my photos are ring locks. The truck, and basically all others you find this age, had 6 RH5 widow makers on it. It took 6 months and many different yards across multiple states to scrounge together the 6 ring locks that I now have. And while most large truck shops and AG shops will service the ring locks, three piece wheels, etc, nowhere will even touch RH5s anymore due to insurance and liability issues. The most they will do is dismantle them, but only if first aired down.

It is wild because even then, the multiple shops I used wouldn't air the tires on my lock ring wheels up to anything over 10PSI to set the bead. Again for insurance reasons. A good loop of chain an a clip on inflator and I took them all up to 75psi while standing back. Each of the three shops I've used I had to wait for the master tech to arrive because they didn't want the kids or even the middle aged guys working on those wheels, it was always the old timers. Times have certainly changed.

Guy who did my 68 worked on skid loaders . Had a real beefy tire cage in the shop. I've done them with the front end loader a few times Long hose with clip on air chuck put the bucket on the rim with some downwards pressure. Used to do them at my uncle's place he had a 47 GMC wrecker

Here are a few of my loads. It's a 1991 f250 with a few modifications. The first two loads are maple, the third is oak, all are fresh cut wet wood. Any missing bark was removed by the grapple.
It gets loaded full on every trip If there is enough wood. The first two loads here are from a tree service. The third load I cut myself.

A596560F-E665-42D3-A833-60834CACB88D.jpeg
550F9345-31B9-4013-941C-13E6CFF38DDD.jpeg8ED3F075-3E02-424C-A58C-139BE552BB55.jpeg

Well, my firewood pile inside was getting a bit low and with the snow on the way in the next couple days, I decided to bring some wood in today from the garage. I’ll be much better prepared next year but already it beats the previous 4 winters at the cabin!

Attachments

• 6D48581B-AEE7-4131-9080-A68C425BBB7B.jpeg
    6D48581B-AEE7-4131-9080-A68C425BBB7B.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 40603DF1-E184-4386-9166-C16589DA8596.jpeg
    40603DF1-E184-4386-9166-C16589DA8596.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
  • B423680A-9794-4539-9022-119B25D04EA7.jpeg
    B423680A-9794-4539-9022-119B25D04EA7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back