Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your replies. The truck is in good shape. It fits my style but I only take it out on special days. I pride on hand splitting up to 6 cord a year. My Nephew's truck in the picture is a BEAST and we get wood together. I enjoy every minute of getting firewood. Thanks for the great site.

So here's a common load for this year so far, I'm just slowly workin' away, nothing like last year. It's a piss poor pic cause it was late evening and was just my cell. Bout 1/2 C of 4ft's and 8-10 large cut offs and stumps to be split and a pile of kibbles that are already ash.

0226151848b.jpg

....And a few seconds later, the start of a long walk back cause of someone else's piss poor idea on how to fix a tire chain....

0226151926a.jpg

0226151926b.jpg

My first load of split stuff this year, until I grabbed a stump that was a little stubborn, when it did finally split the whole splitter jumped up bout 6in and fell off the blocks....grrrr

I picked it up again with the tractor and reset the blocks. Maybe pic's of my ol' poor splitter later in the week.

0228151538a.jpg

This years been pretty easy on my truck

SVK, nice birch! Just came back from Lake of the Woods ice fishing. Seen so much firewood up there blew my mind. Beautiful country up there....Oh and fishing was SLOW, for a 9 hour drive 1 way.

So I finally got around to doing some serous splitting.

Here is my $100 action sale bought, farm made splitter.
Nicely power by a unknown horse power relic of a B&S motor, feeding a wet kit off a grain truck all mounted on what ever they had sitting around, some far it's lived close to ten years.

, 0312151916a.jpg

0312151918b.jpg

0312151920a.jpg

After snapping off the knife a few years back, that was made out of cultivator shank I think, I reset the throat depth to 24in and added a log catcher to each side and is so far holding together quite well.

0312151934a.jpg

So I got in bit of a hurry to get a good load in so this is part way through pile number 1

0312151917b.jpg 0312151917c.jpg

Piles 2 & #3 on a carrying plate form.

0312151918a.jpg

...and pile 4 along with more scattered all over under that snow

0312151959a.jpg

After lookin' at how nice, pretty, evenly cut and split wood most of have, I was debating taking a pic of what I split as it is ugly lookin'.

Here is a quick peek at part of the load....

You just can't beat a $100 splitter that's ran for ten years. That rocks! What is the water bottle mod that you have going on there?

Ha ha ha that is an elcheapo way of keeping water out of the fuel tank as any snow over 3in would start running in the vents in the cap, it sits out side all year and is only used for maybe a week.

These are all older pics. Ill have to dig up some newer/snowier (winter 14/15) pictures. Still pretty sexy if you're asking me...
This is a few years back. (3 or 4?)
dmax dump wood.jpg
This past summer- 2 full cords plus- July 2014:
nevan red.jpg
Bought some full baskets from a firewood business going out of business- Winter 2013/14:
wood crates.jpg
6 or 7 years ago- Pre dump trailer.....that was work!!
red trailer.jpg

My little operation runs right out back, so I don't need to make the big loads some of you haul, and I pick and choose how and what to haul with, but that includes:

An old Bombardier Quest ATV and a Deere GT Cart:

Fiskar-izing.JPG

Or, my JD x728 and a half-fast, home made sledge for rounds I can't lift, and wanted moved to a more convenient location for breaking down to a manageable size:

Tractor%2BSledge%2B1.JPG

And, when I am just playing around with the Log Arch I made last year, I might drag a log to a place to process it in the sunshine:

P1070182.JPG

And, every once in a while, I actually pull a load for a delivery to a special customer:

14%2B-%2B1

Back