Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: Just realized I posted in the wrong thread. Oophs!

I've been cleaning up, and making room for two log deliveries, and room for more pallets of processed firewood by double stacking. I am not selling wood this year, so I have last years processed wood, plus this years ongoing processing for next year. So far double stacking seems to be working well. Will not really know until spring.
While doing so I discovered something that does not work. For years, I've covered the wood with approx. 6' x 6' tarps, black side up. In two years use the UV begins to break down the material. This spring I began covering silver side up, thinking silver might reflect more, and the covers might last an extra year or so.. They have turned brittle in six months time, to where I can push my finger through with little effort. I covered about thirty cord, or 120 pallets, this way before discovering this yesterday, which are on top of the double stacks. Back to black side up.
Four years ago double stacking had mixed results, and I discontinued the practice, all the while trying to come up with something that would work better. The difference now, is in part, finding heavy duty hardwood pallets at a reasonable price several weeks ago. The problem was that the 1,400 pounds of green firewood sits on an uneven surface, the firewood below it. The bottom of the pallets are designed to sit on a solid surface, so the failure has been the few cross boards on the bottom of the pallets. Turning a pallet over and double stacking pallets 90° to each other, then staggering rows side to side and front to back helps.
Four years ago I did not have fork extensions to try this, so I never considered it at the time. I was actually surprised to find my machine could lift that much with fork extensions.

Photo four years, ago after a year of seasoning and settling, made it difficult to get the forks back in the upper pallets. I knocked theses over trying to get forks in them, which split and toppled many on the bottom row as well. Another difference this year is not tarping the lower rows.IMG_4651.jpg
Good for now. Spring 2021 photos to come.IMG_3397.jpg
The right side of container had 40 cord, 160 pallets single stacked, now double stacked to the left side. The uncovered rows in front are bundled junk wood, shorts, partially punky wood, that we burn after it's seasoned a year. Bundling helps keep the clutter picked up and easily moved when needed.
Approx. 300 pallets, plus 10 of junk. I need to get an accurate count today. There are two hundred empty stacked pallets in back on the left.
IMG_3592.jpg
The last few pallets to move before cutting and splitting again.61920510498__E197B329-75D6-45ED-B645-FEDEF7DE1447.jpg
Log staging area cleaned up and ready for two deliveries. Due to the longer lag times in summer and fall I put in for an additional two loads. 61870848115__46CC32DD-2D65-423D-BFB2-F96E63C86E58.jpg
These piles are 8' high.IMG_3586.jpgIMG_3568.jpg

I'm swamped with firewood this year due to the number of storms that have brought down some fine Oaks. So, This load is running to a saw mill.

IMG_8095.jpg

I've never taken wood to a mill, I'm not sure how this will turn out for me. Anyway, a nice chat with the mill owner/operator and a quick walk through:

IMG_8100.jpg

(Also posted in scrounging)

Hauled a nice load of hardwood to my friend and blew tread off one of my tires. Come to find out the tire had a date code from January of 1995! I never thought to check as the tire came cheap/free to me from a tire shop several years ago.

4D2E0D70-90A6-4364-B12F-837C9AFD7F01.jpeg916B183D-CC34-4E20-AAED-E6480F957624.jpegB5E1BA61-4646-4F80-9686-29C684233344.jpeg

(Also posted in scrounging)

Hauled a nice load of hardwood to my friend and blew tread off one of my tires. Come to find out the tire had a date code from January of 1995! I never thought to check as the tire came cheap/free to me from a tire shop several years ago.

View attachment 855529View attachment 855530View attachment 855531
Good luck on the new tires. Seems they’ve figured out how to make them blow about the time dot says they are bad at 4-5 years.

Good luck on the new tires. Seems they’ve figured out how to make them blow about the time dot says they are bad at 4-5 years.
My other ones are pretty new. One is 4 years old, one is a year old, and the other I need to check the date code.

I bought two new tires for it 4 years ago from Discount Tire and bought the lifetime road hazard warranty. As long as they have 25 percent or greater tread life remaining, Discount will cover them against road hazards forever. One of them was damaged on a rough road and they replaced it last summer, no questions asked. Pretty happy about that as a lot of warranties turn out to be shams.

Probably a replica of an earlier picture in this thread, but we've had some cooler weather this week, so I'm back in the woods processing cutting and hauling another fine oak out to my stacking area.

IMG_8289.jpg

Been delivering some wood, so my stacking area has room again. I think I can process about as fast as I am currently delivering. Pretty much JIT firewood plan.

IMG_4664.jpg
This is 1 1/2 cord.
Delivered wood this way for several years, had unloading.
Ordered a 16' bumper pull dump trailer with 48" sides to replace it.
Almost every brand dump trailer is back ordered.
Delivery date for the trailer is December.
Looking forward to the change.
May have found a buyer for the 5500 this morning.

View attachment 856033
This is 1 1/2 cord.
Delivered wood this way for several years, had unloading.
Ordered a 16' bumper pull dump trailer with 48" sides to replace it.
Almost every brand dump trailer is back ordered.
Delivery date for the trailer is December.
Looking forward to the change.
May have found a buyer for the 5500 this morning.
Does the 5500 have a dump bed?

This spring my neighbor across the road stopped by and said " I had 3 trees cut down, do you want them?" I asked what kind. She said "Ash I think". Well they were Ash and the Emerald Ash Bores had gotten them. When we were finished, we hauled 8 loads on a 7' x 14' trailer and 5 load of brush. We have a pile of split Ash 5' high and 50 feet long.

.Ash1.jpg

Ash2.jpg
Ash6.jpg
Ash3.jpg
Ash5.jpg
Ash7.jpg
Ash4.jpg
Thanks for looking.
Be safe with them saws guys.

Here's about a 1/3 of a standing dead sugar maple. It was about 20" DBH. I'll head back with the trailer to get the rest this coming weekend. Great start on 2021-22 firewood. Love me some sugar maple!:p
You like that Husqvarna double jug okay?
I been thinking about getting one.

You like that Husqvarna double jug okay?
I been thinking about getting one.
I'm liking it. Got it this spring from the UK through Amazon. There's no spilling. It's very heavily built.
It's very frustrating that these aren't available in the states. Probably due to it not being red.
Thanks,
Lee

Does the 5500 have a dump bed?
No dump bed or I would keep it.
It does have a 3126 Cat, 6 speed manual, and a pto, but no wet kit.
A landscape bed is about ten grand installed (electric over hydraulic), and I'd still have a $3,000. truck, so decided to go with a dump trailer.
When I bought the truck, we did not have a pickup. Now we do, for pulling an rv trailer.
When we chose a used truck, I looked at one tons, thinking at some point I could add a dump insert, as most deliveries are 1/2 cord or less.
With a dump trailer the combined gvw, pickup and dump trailer, is over 26,001 at 12,800 and 15,400..
(The trailer gvw is 15,400, with (2) 7k axles. So max. 1,400 tongue weight. Which means there is an overlap of 1,400 lbs. You can't have both!)
The 5500 is 20,500 gvw, hydraulic brakes.
If it does not sell, I may use it to pull the trailer and run loads, as it is already dot inspected/registered.
I would have to re plate it by weight, because in MI the truck gvw must cover cgvw of truck and trailer.

I'm liking it. Got it this spring from the UK through Amazon. There's no spilling. It's very heavily built.
It's very frustrating that these aren't available in the states. Probably due to it not being red.
Thanks,
Lee
Thanks Lee
I just ordered one with my Amazon Chase points.
Estimated delivery: Oct. 7, 2020 - Oct. 23, 2020
Clint

Back