Running a Stihl in 'Summer Operation' mode in Winter & vice versa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.aspx

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Quick dumb question. How detrimental is it to the engine to run a saw that was pre-set for Summer operation during Winter months?

The manual says to run in Winter mode in temperatures under 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The other day it was about 40 and I ran in Summer mode for about 15 minutes total. I forgot about resetting this.

Exactly how detrimental is this? Will the saw actually run better if given the appropriate setting? Start easier? The manual stated something about carburetor icing but I wouldn't think this would be a problem in temperatures over 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Please school this n00b! :D

it is mainly to prevent carb icing and keeping the engine in operating temp, but occasional use wont hurt anything, unless you run in the edge it, then it might get too lean and seize in summer mode @ winter...

But when the temps settle below 50f then it should be kept on wintermode untill temps settle over 50f again...

Quick dumb question. How detrimental is it to the engine to run a saw that was pre-set for Summer operation during Winter months?

The manual says to run in Winter mode in temperatures under 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The other day it was about 40 and I ran in Summer mode for about 15 minutes total. I forgot about resetting this.

Exactly how detrimental is this? Will the saw actually run better if given the appropriate setting? Start easier? The manual stated something about carburetor icing but I wouldn't think this would be a problem in temperatures over 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Please school this n00b! :D

For me I found carb icing happens more at Hi humidity something I don't really worry about were I live as it is always dry cold and never switch my saws over, my truck also has a carb and does not like cold foggy wet days. I would'nt worry about it for the amount of time you used it.

Carb iceing can happen from 50F down to very low temperatures, and is also related to humidity and engine power.

Do an AS search on CARB ICING and you'll get a lot of hits on this topic.

You haven't hurt your saw at all... and you can just leave it closed pretty much all the time(within reasonable limits) unless you detect a problem.

This is for aircraft, but the same idea applies...

attachment.php

If I lived in western Washington state I would never run the saw with the winter shutter open. The filter becomes dirty three times as fast.
BTW I have never had a carb ice up and I was running my saws the other day in -7 degree weather with the winter shutter closed and using summer bar oil! Saws ran great once warmed up.

If I lived in western Washington state I would never run the saw with the winter shutter open. The filter becomes dirty three times as fast.
BTW I have never had a carb ice up and I was running my saws the other day in -7 degree weather with the winter shutter closed and using summer bar oil! Saws ran great once warmed up.

Luckily thats not problem with huskies..

winter shutter is for carb icing. When the carb ices, saw won't idle.

icing is the worst when it is raining right around freezing temp.

if it is much colder, it isn't raining, it is snowing.

so, 31 degrees and raining to 40 degrees is the worst.

you didnt' hurt it to run with the shutter in winter place.

however, you can hurt it on a really hot day with the winter shutter open. it can in theory get too hot.

however, you can hurt it on a really hot day with the winter shutter open. it can in theory get too hot.

Thats no "in theory", my dad fried one of his huskies in the 80's by doing that, there was plenty of snow around but temp suddenly dropped to 0c or so and my dad winte flap open.... Resulted in heat seized husky.... But in that case another big factor was that there was plenty of snow, so he had to dig a hole around tree strump and then cut in it....

Bwalker, havent noticed my filter getting any dirtyer when keeping the winter flap open, must be that i only keep it open when its fairly below 0c and by then theres plenty of snow around...

Latest posts

Back