Rust disease on pear tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dano1120

Reaction score
Hello, I came home yesterday to find my driveway, sidewalk, and even one of our cars on the street covered in what looked like some kind of orange residue. We had a pretty good rain while we were out. I recently bought a pressure washer and went to town cleaning the concrete and other things around the house. So my initial thought was that I somehow screwed up the concrete, rust was seeping through the contcrete... who knows. But I guess it was just a coincidence that I pressure washed the day before this happened. Someone mentioned it seemed like pollen, quick google of orange pollen led me to hawthorne rust disease or some other rust disease on pear trees.

I attached a few pictures of what I'm talking about on concrete and the leaves on the tree. It rinses right off of the concrete and the cars, I'm not sure if it has a lasting effect or not if it isn't rinsed off right away or not. I cleaned it all off when I got home, it rained again a little while later and its back again.

I'm sorry I don't know exactly what kind of pear tree this is. Bradford or Aristocrat maybe? What are my options for this and will this continue to happen each year? We have lived here for 4 years now and this is the first time this happened which is why I didn't even think of the tree being the culprit. I'm not a huge fan of this tree to begin with because its pretty big and sits right between the house and the street. I'm worried it will eventually spit and land on the house or car. Having said that, its a good looking tree and provides some nice shade for the front of the house. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 15
Cedar-Quince rust can get on Pyrus. It doesn't matter if it is Bradford, Aristocrat, Cleveland select, etc.... they are all the same species (Callery pear).

I'm never going to suggest against removing and replacing one of those with something better!

If you want to control it, you'd need to treat earlier in the spring next year multiple times. https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/bp/bp-137-w.pdf

How do the branch junctions look? They are very prone to splitting when they have poor branch architecture.

Latest posts

Back