Rusty transfer tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up a transfer tank to carry diesel. The outside looks good but the inside has a fair amount of scaling. Its a smaller tank at 50 gallons. I soaked it over night with three gallons of muriatic acid diluted with about four or five gallons of water letting it set on each side for a few hours at a time. It cleaned a lot out but its not perfect. I emptied it and neutralized it with baking soda, rinsed about five times and hit it with the pressure washer. Lastly coated by rolling a couple gallons of diesel in it. Anyone have a suggestion how to finish cleaning it? I dont really want to keep piling up nasty buckets of gunky muriatic acid but if thats all I can do I will.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Jason

By scale you mean rust? Or sometbing more like mill scale? Have you tried using something like Evaporust and letting it work on each side by moving the tank around, then letting it sit for a few hours, then rinsing it out?

The electrolysis cleaned it up nicely. I Used my electric pressure washer to rinse it several times.(at least 10)I wanted to make sure I got everything out. Then i set it on its side and set my heatgun in it for about 15 minutes, put two gallons of diesel in it, rolled it around to coat it well. I'll mount it this weekend when I get the pump and fill it up so it doesn't get any condensation problems. I think the electrolysis would have done it by itself and I wouldn't have had to neutralize and dispose of the muratiac acid.

Back