Ryobi 20 in. bar Gas Chainsaw at Home Depot---------

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LH335

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I saw a new Ryobi gas chainsaw with a 20 inch bar at Home Depot-- they are $200. Looks like it has a chain brake too. The construction looked good. My work would be all on the ground. For what I would use it for-- occassional maple or elm tree cutting for fire wood, it looks like it would be fine. Any comments or ideas?? I mean, I looked at the new Homelites and thought I would stay away from them this time.....

Thanks.

I mean, I looked at the new Homelites and thought I would stay away from them this time.....

I haven't seen it yet but chances are it's just a Ryobi branded Homelite. I don't blame for for wanting to stay away from newer Chainsaws "made" by Homelite.

This is true about the Ryobis just being rebranded Homelites.
You need to go to a Stihl Dealer and get yourself a Stihl MS880 with a 20 inch bar this should be sufficient for your needs. LOL just kidding.

I would look at Redmax these are quite a good saw and very comparable to Stihl homeowner range.

Another alternitive would be to buy a new/used pro saw which to be honest are a total different kettle of fish and will really get the job done.

If shopping at the Depot for a chainsaw, stick with the higher # Echo CS's (ie: CS-400). Other wise check out your local tool supplier of Husqvarna, Dolmar, Stihl, etc equipment. Here you maybe able to actually run a saw, to your satisfaction.

While you're at HD, see if it has a tool rental dept and if so, ask about the used Makita 6401 chainsaws. They're rebadged Dolmars and if it hasn't been beaten to death by the renters they're often excellent values...HD sells them after 2-3 years for between $200-250 and they're often very well maintained.

Home despot saws

While you're at HD, see if it has a tool rental dept and if so, ask about the used Makita 6401 chainsaws. They're rebadged Dolmars and if it hasn't been beaten to death by the renters they're often excellent values...HD sells them after 2-3 years for between $200-250 and they're often very well maintained.

What you said and the poster above. At home depot, stick with echos or a used makita, that's it...don't even glance at that other stuff on the shelf. And either one, tune it good before using. I know my home depot echo (where the dude I got it from bought it) came lean as can be outta the box, waaaayyy too lean.

Don't ask me how I found this out....

I have no idea how they treat the rental makitas, what the in-store maintenance is, (if any...) but I would guess they need a bit of a pro going over as well before use.

Ryobi 20" chainsaw

It is pure garbage, I spend more time taking it apart than cutting, usually about 5 mins cutting then 30 mins tightening, locating screws that fly off it. It is worthless junk:msp_mad:

I have only bought one Ryobi product in my life...
AND it will the the LAST Ryobi product I will ever own.

One day...it would start right up...next day impossible to start??
No adjustment made from day one to day two..

I just gave it to my neighbor to be rid of it!!!
Another neighbor said he got so frustrated...he set it on fire!!!
And cussed it every second until it's final demise!! LOL!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

The older Ryobi's were good little saws. The newer ones are junk. Go to a dealer who sells and services the equipment he sells. Even if your looking at an Echo. Most of the dealers will let you run the saw before you buy it, and usually retune it for you for like $10. The dealer near me who sells Echo sells them for like $10 to $20 more than Home Depot. Taking a test run on a saw or blower or mower is well worth $20, IMHO.

Back