?'s on dolmar and solo saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builder

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've decided to give an "off brand" saw a try,but don't have a dealer close by,(it's an hour for stihl parts!)and was wondering if any of you could answer a couple questions:
Is there any difference between the 651 and 651sp other than open/closed transfers?Has anyone tuned either of these saws and would the sp outperform if I put the $100 difference into it?

I was looking at the dolmar 540i and it looks really good,54cc and only 10.4lb....until you see it's only rated at 3hp.Is it a dog? or is it just a conservative rating?maybe a really restrictive muffler?
Do any of these saws have fully adj. carbs?
Thanks guys,I love this place.

The 651 has a fully adjustable carb. It's a really good running/cutting saw for its size. The 651SP comes with a spur sprocket and black top cover, and makes 3.6Hp. The 651 has a rim sprocket and red top cover, and makes 4.0Hp. There may be other differences. I don't know too much about Dolmar.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony,

that's exactly the kind of info I wanted,guess it's the 651 then.

You're more than welcome. I own a 651, and I think it's the best 50cc saw out there. If you are considering off brand, may I recommend looking into the new John Deere saws. I've kind of jumped onto their bandwagon. There made by Olympyk, Efco, Oleo-Mac, or whatever else I've heard it called. Italian built, good saws. I really like the specs on the CS-62, but I just ran a CS-56 today and was impressed. Powerful with excellent torque, a pro quality saw, and very competetive prices.

differences Solo 651 vs 651SP

The 651 may be getting hard to come by. I called today to Solo and they don't have any at the US warehouse and they are no longer in their order book- just the 651SP. Their claim is that there is little difference and the $150 added to the price tag didn't make it a big seller. I also suspect that there is a EPA thingy going on too. So if you can find one you might want to act on it.

So what are the differences?? I have the illistrated parts manual here in front of me for both models...
The 651 has a different piston (same cylinder- no detail given on whats different), variable timing (some call it two stage) ignition coil (module), rim type drive sprocket, and color of the hood is red. Other than that they seem to be similar. Now with that said (and i hate to 'advertise' here) but, I have one new 651SP left- email if any interest.
Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff,
Are you a Solo dealer? The dealers in IL that I have talked to haven't mentioned anything about the 651 going bye bye. Should I be asking if their "order books" lack the 651 this year? I've got an unhealthy attatchment to that saw and don't know what I'd do w/o it. You're right about the piston being different, sprocket, clutch, ignition and porting. I didn't know the carb was different. You mention a $150 difference between the two saws. Up here, they're priced at $349 (651SP) and $399 (651). I don't claim to know as much as some when it comes to wrenching on these bad boys but...What I do know is this. When you run the 651 against the 651SP, the 4hp screams. It was the 651 that made me sell my 026pro and I loved that saw. SP is a ???? fine saw, don't get me wrong but the straight 651 is an all pro tool. It is this moniker that leads me to believe th SP stands for Semi-Pro??

Builder,
I would take a long look at the Efco 956 or 962. We've done all the major saws, as well as a few of the minor brands. The Jonsered and Efco are what we have ended up with for the majority of our sales. Very simply put, they are the best bang for the buck for us and our customers. The Dolmars are a good unit, but nothing real special. However the distributor in my area is great and that can make up for any of the saws shortcomings. My techs like the Jonsered(Husky) and Efco(Olympyk) in the shop because they tend to be easy fixes. We never see Solo's, I just don't think there is a dealer near by.

whell i am happy wiht the dolmar that i have. it is a 153 - a monster. it is a good starter. even when i let it sit for a few months it will always start in 2-3 pulls. go for a dolmar you can't really go wrong.

Mack,

Wow, i just checked out the 962C, and I'm impressed. It weighs in the same as the outstanding 357 Husky but has 0.3 more hp!! It may not run as smoothly as the Husky or hop up as well, but who knows.

I'm about ready to sell one or both of my very nice Stihl 036 pro's and get either or one each of the above two saws.

I doubt if I could get the 962 out here in Wa., could you quote me your best price?

Thanks,

Roger

jsikkema...Solo 651 going away???

The 651 straight up is one of their best selling saws from what I gather. It is my understanding that it is the 651SP that is going by the wayside in favor of the new 650 that has a compression release.
651 is a true pro saw and quite possibly the finest 3+c.i. saw on the market. Can't see anything but exposure and satisfaction in line for that saw.

At 9.9 lb and 3.3 hp, that is a sweet saw, the 650!!

I'm bidding on a Solo 651 on ebay, crossin my fingers. it will go straight to Dennis to massage!!! Just got my Walkerized 335XPT, and wow man, it screams . 30 second cut by an old saw, strong runner, same bar/chain, 19 sec with the hot one. I'm sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rbtree,
Are ther any concerns as to the longevity of the saw after you have it ripped?? Seems anytime you increase output you decrease end life?
Good luck on the Ebay 651!

Roger

Checked eBay for that 651 you were after, couldn't find it. Got a link?
Good luck again!

According to all the pros, John, Dennis, and Ken, modified saws run cooler, and thus last longer. Certainly more hp may mean more stress on moving parts, i reckon.

DOLMAR AND SOLO SAWS

:) I got some advice from a previous post on a saw for my father. He is a big fan of Dolmar, but at his age he cannot handle a big saw. I purchased a Dolmar PS-34 for him and he loves it. It is small, but does a great job for him. He mostly cuts the small stuff and alot of pruning. It is lite, very lite, and very plastic. I have nicknamed it the plastic fantastic.
As far as Solo I have heard many good things about them, but have never had the opppurtunity to use one yet. Maybe I will stop by Bailey's on my next trip through Laytonville and try one out.

OK,could any of you saw gurus provide me a list of dolmar saws over 100cc?I see a lot of big dolmars sell cheap secondhand and am wondering which would be suitable for milling? jonsies too,they seem to go much cheaper than huskies.

list of dolmar saws over 100cc

Hey builder, I'm not even on the same planet as a saw guru, but I've got this book...anyway, the info I have is good thru 1998. Everthing I have on Dolmar over 100 cc's is Sachs-Dolmar, which I think I remember someone say was pre-87 or 88. There are 3:
Sachs-Dolmar CT @ 118cc's
Sachs-Dolmar 152 & 153 @ 100 cc's
Sachs-Dolmar 166 @ 118 cc's.
Like I said, I'm just telling you what the book says. Still waiting on my 115. Just e-mailed dude as to what's up. Hope it gets here soon.

Back