Sachs 117: Massive bar oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johninky

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Took the 117, haven't used it last few years, along with another saw to the brush pile from where I am cutting firewood. As I went to fill the oil tank, the oil level dropped almost as fast as the oil I was adding. Tonight I removed the bar and muffler and can see the oil is pouring out somewhere from either the side or back of the tank. Problem is as if the tank has a major size hole but I can't see any. Is there a hose/line on the backside and if so, how to gain access? Hate to retire this saw being the original owner but right now it is worthless to me.

Edit: Title should say : "Bar Oil"

Sachs Dolmar saws often leak at the juncture between the oil pump and the pickup hose in the oil tank, you need to remove the clutch and drum to get to the pump.

Thanks for replying. Will pull the pump. This is a massive oil leak and betting I will discover the failure will be where the line attaches to the tank.

Hope the pump didn`e break or the nipple to the pump.
Pulled the pump and nothing. Someone else told me once the pump is pulled, the line where it attaches to the tank will be obvious. Well, not obvious to me. Will tinker with it later.

The pump appears to be good to go. Leak is coming from behind the oil tank.

Can you see the oil line that feeds the pump? There should be a rather big round plug on the side of the tank with a line attached, thought that may have worked out or loosened up. No other tank openings I can think of other than the filler hole.

Can you see the oil line that feeds the pump? There should be a rather big round plug on the side of the tank with a line attached, thought that may have worked out or loosened up. No other tank openings I can think of other than the filler hole.

Just less than an inch where it attaches o the pump. Been looking on eBay for examples of the part of the saw that contains the tanks and thinking I've solved the access problem. Looks like that "plate/part of the saw" that has the bar mounting studs has to come off. Tomorrow will be a busy day but may get back to the saw tomorrow night.

The volume of the leak, leaks almost as fast as the tank is filled, has me thinking the groment used the fill the hole in the oil tank has completely failed/come loose.

Separated the saw and the line is good. The bad is the shock mount closest to the oil tank was broken and I guess years of vibration wore a hole in the tank. Just bought a good looking replacement off of eBay. Now if I can just remember how it all goes back together.

Just happened to look closely at the original tank and noticed what appears to be some sort of epoxy. I never applied it and can't believe the factory did it. Loaned the saw out for several years while overseas and just wonder.

Anyways, installed the "new" tank. managed to get the saw back together again, the carb linkage kicked my butt, and the bar oiler is working just fine.

If I ever buy another new saw, doubtful at my age, it will be another Sachs Dolmar.

Back