Sachs Dolmar 114 Quits after 5 minutes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Finley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got this saw for free and could not believe it started and ran by just fueling and pulling a few times. When the saw quit the first time I thought it was fuel related as it seemed to bog. I was running 40:1 mix and manual said 25:1. So I mixed that and it ran longer with small adjust of the carb but died again. I then pulled the plug and checked that. No spark. I let it cool and spark came back.
Then I adjusted the plug and coil gaps. Ran great again for 5 minutes and no spark again.
Want to know what others think of this.
I have read coils are usually the problem. I am going to try a new plug but curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the flywheel and found a module not points.
Any help would be appreciated.
I have been running a Crapsman saw for the last 8 tearful years and really need to get into a good saw. PS5105 is on my radar...

I knew they were NLA as I went looking for one. Is there a coil that works without the modual? Searching the net , I have seen some that claim to eliminate points.
Thank You for the reply to my inquiry.
I just bought a 5105 for the work that needs to be done. The Craftsman no longer meets my needs and is being a pain. I would rather put a few hrs into a one of these older saws than the stuff from 10 years ago.

You can use a chip that replaces points but in your case it is eliminating
the module. You just have to wire it correctly. I have two 114's with them.
I was able to buy them from Dolmar. Not sure if you can still get them.
Mega fire was the brand.

Would be nice to have a back-up crap kicker saw. Runs so well until it dies. 18 inch B + C and it was cutting great. Thanks for your reply. I will call Makita Dolmar tomorrow and see if they have a work around.

Think I will try the Universal Ignition Module from ebay for 15 dollars before the coil swap from a 120SI that. If the module does not do it, I will fond a coil and try that.
I will post my results.

I did see the Mega Fire and pics looked the same as this.
I have also read a 120si coil swap will work without the Module, everything is in the coil.
So I have 2 options.
Thanks again.

I think you will also need the flywheel and check to see if your
cylinder has the bosses for the external coil to mount to. Been
awhile since I had a 120si apart.

Great post. I have a few parts for some older Dolmars . That is great you supplied part numbers to help other Dolmar fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a bit unconventional in my install. I ran negative wire right to the coil mounting bolt. I ran Positive wire through grommets for original Module down under the flywheel to where the original module sits. I soldered that wire to original wiring terminal. Put elec-chickens tape over it and used the original module to hold taped solder joint away from flywheel under the original module.
The universal module sits in an accessible spot near Carburetor adjustment holes in saw case. I wrapped it in a piece of paper towel to mitigate vibration. It will be easy to check for no spark trying a new Module rather than burying it somewhere.
The VM went south fast and I have it torn down now waiting for 5 new mounts.
Is this saw worth it? Probably not to have a shop repair it... but it has been fun to do and it does run and cut very well.
This was relatively easy to do. I am a newbie when it comes to tearing into these things, but I have skills and enjoy challenges like this. Been an adventure for sure...100_0476.JPG 100_0478.JPG 100_0479.JPG 100_0480.JPG 100_0477.JPG

Latest posts

Back