SACHS DOLMAR 122 SUPER HELP NEEDED

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zolo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought Sachs dolmar 122 super chainsaw yesterday from ebay for £55. Looks like it is in good condition but i have not received the saw yet. I beleive i will get it in next 3 to 4 days. I beleive it is 70cc saw which looks quite powerful. My question is

Is it good saw? Or have I wasted my money.
I beleive it is german made.
It does not have chain break which is not a massive issue for me.

Looks like parts are not easily available for this saw.

Let me know your thoughts please.
I will share the pictures in coming days.

The 122S was manufactured for a short time (three/four years?) and was replaced, I think, by the far more popular 120si and 123. As is typical with the period Dolmar's I have seen here it came with a few detail differences, such as cylinder/air filter shroud. Or maybe ours is a third rate market and we got sent the parts bin specials? ;)
Chain brake was an option and the saw can be converted to run it (if you can find the parts needed). Most spare parts can still be found (mostly used) but they aren't cheap and top ends are hard to come by.

I know I'll get slaughtered for daring to say this, but it's a typical Dolmar from that time frame: very well made and it's somewhat like a Stihl but with less grunt.
The reasons it didn't sell well were partly due to Dolmar's still ongoing issues in building up somewhat akin to a dealership network (most saws were "exported" from Germany through a variety of semi-official channels) and partly due to ferocious competition from everybody: Stihl, Partner, Husqvarna, Echo etc.

The 122S was manufactured for a short time (three/four years?) and was replaced, I think, by the far more popular 120si and 123. As is typical with the period Dolmar's I have seen here it came with a few detail differences, such as cylinder/air filter shroud. Or maybe ours is a third rate market and we got sent the parts bin specials? ;)
Chain brake was an option and the saw can be converted to run it (if you can find the parts needed). Most spare parts can still be found (mostly used) but they aren't cheap and top ends are hard to come by.

I know I'll get slaughtered for daring to say this, but it's a typical Dolmar from that time frame: very well made and it's somewhat like a Stihl but with less grunt.
The reasons it didn't sell well were partly due to Dolmar's still ongoing issues in building up somewhat akin to a dealership network (most saws were "exported" from Germany through a variety of semi-official channels) and partly due to ferocious competition from everybody: Stihl, Partner, Husqvarna, Echo etc.
Thanks much appriciated your thoughts,very helpful

The 122s with chainbrake is the 122SL. Sometimes the brake setup shows up for sale. The super has a bigger bore vs the regular 122. There are some reports that the early dolmar 123 used the same cylinders as the 122 super. As a dolmar collector : restore and enjoy it.

Will the chainbrake from the 123 and 133 fit the 122? I don`t have the IPL for the 122 any more but thought someone used these on a 122 at one time.
Never had one in my hands. 123/133 brake band mounted on crankcase ,122sl brake band mounted on clutchcover.
Chain sprockets are the same between the 122 and 133. 122sl has a wider chainsprocket for the brake band.

Maybe with a little work that the brake band can be swaped out.

Back