sachs dolmar 133 & huskey 280 opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklt040

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just picked up a dolmar 133 complete with good compression not running
also I got a huskey 280 with good compression what is yalls take on these saws. Ease of finding parts I think is my biggist concern.

Sort of depends on what you need for them. The 133 is a nice beast of a saw. It's 85cc and quite a torque ripper. The Huskie too is about 75 or 77CC ? but I'd be willing to bet that you'll find parts easier for the Dolmar than the 280. Good luck and post your needs. There's allot of guys here that can help or steer you in the right direction.:cheers:

Sort of depends on what you need for them. The 133 is a nice beast of a saw. It's 85cc and quite a torque ripper. The Huskie too is about 75 or 77CC ? but I'd be willing to bet that you'll find parts easier for the Dolmar than the 280. Good luck and post your needs. There's allot of guys here that can help or steer you in the right direction.:cheers:

The 280 etc is 76.5cc, and I believe an older model than the Dolmar.

I belive the last version of that late 1960s (180) series (480) was replaced by the 181 right after 1980.

The 280S came out in 1971, and the 280CD in 1974.

The Dolmar 133 came out in 1979.

Last edited:
The 133 has one problem (The one I did anyway) the Bosch coils were not good at all and they all seemed to die, SEM made coils for this saw as well but if changing a Bosch coil you will find they are no longer made and will have to change to SEM the coil, fly wheel and fan wheel will all need replaced. (At a cost of about £120/$240US over here!)

Never had any experience with the Husky though so I can't comment on it.

The 133 has one problem (The one I did anyway) the Bosch coils were not good at all and they all seemed to die, SEM made coils for this saw as well but if changing a Bosch coil you will find they are no longer made and will have to change to SEM the coil, fly wheel and fan wheel will all need replaced. (At a cost of about £120/$240US over here!)

Never had any experience with the Husky though so I can't comment on it.

I've ran a 133 a little, and it's a powerful saw. My experience reflects the problem with the coils. They've not been available for a long time, but you can find them on ebay used if you wait a little.

The 133 had more compression than any saw I've ran. I broke several pull handles in two with that saw, and your hand will ache for days if it kicks back. Once you get it running though, sounds like a motorcycle and cuts fast!

I've ran a 133 a little, and it's a powerful saw. My experience reflects the problem with the coils. They've not been available for a long time, but you can find them on ebay used if you wait a little.

The 133 had more compression than any saw I've ran. I broke several pull handles in two with that saw, and your hand will ache for days if it kicks back. Once you get it running though, sounds like a motorcycle and cuts fast!

maybe you or any of yall know the answer to my next question. Why is it that any old joe cant fix a coil. or better what is it in the coil that usually fails?maybe this is a stupid question?

I can't comment on the Dolmar, but the Husky is a good saw. This might be overstepping a touch, but the Husky 77, 180, 280, 380, and 480 were all reincarnations of the 77cc displacement platform that Troll alluded to (one piston fits all!). Of all of these, the 480 seems to me the most common. If you just have to have the 77cc Husky and you're looking for a saw you're actually going to run, that's the one I'd go for as (IMHO) I think parts may be less of an issue. They also don't seem to command a terribly high price, as they are eclipsed by their larger brother, the 2100. Some would argue (me?) that if you're looking for as much boom as you can get in an older Husky, you might want to just keep your eyes out for a 2100/2101. You'll definitely pay more, though.

The older saws are great fun, and they are worth having (I tell myself).. on the other hand, if you really want a working saw, say, for milling, I would look into a used Stihl 066....part, parts, and more parts.

Last edited:
maybe you or any of yall know the answer to my next question. Why is it that any old joe cant fix a coil. or better what is it in the coil that usually fails?maybe this is a stupid question?

The plastic coating on mine melted in places and eventually the windings on the coil broke away and sparking was intermittent to the point of wanting to run the log splitter through the saw!

The plastic coating on mine melted in places and eventually the windings on the coil broke away and sparking was intermittent to the point of wanting to run the log splitter through the saw!

Yep that's what usually happens.
A coil NicklT is just that, a coil of wire wraps that create an electromagnetic field. If the wire/wraps break or separate, they fail.

can any one help me??

i have just got a sachs dolmar 133 form a farm sale runs lovely and hardly used eneb thow old. only prob is that it came with out bar and chain, and i am having a prob finding them for it i have looked every where on line that i can fined and so far no luck i live in surrey england and i know this saw is real a us saw so a was hoping maby your gyes mite be able to help me i have just started my own company and this saw is my way to make some more money by being able to do the bigger tree jobs. i would real apriceat the help if any one can awnsere my qwestion. just incase you can i am looking for a 24inch chan and bar for it. thanks for reading

Dolmer 133 parts

i have just got a sachs dolmar 133 form a farm sale runs lovely and hardly used eneb thow old. only prob is that it came with out bar and chain, and i am having a prob finding them for it i have looked every where

You're in luck - what was Sachs Dolmar then became Dolmar, which was taken over by Makita.
I've got a 133 and wanted a new sprocket and bar (the sprocket needs to use the US rim drive) but most parts are available from your friendly local Makita dealer. For a machine over 20 yrs old I think that is great. Well done Makita

Last edited:
133& 144 parts

Hello 2 all. I have just got myself a dolmar 133 that is sold as a mcculloch super pro out here in australia & 144 that was sold as a victa dolmar. The 133 is running & is a beast of a saw but the recoil spring is on the way out. I am restoring the 144 at the minute. The clutch cover on this saw has broken where the dogs connect. If anyone can help me out with locating these parts it would be very greatfull. Ive scanned the net & im get'n nowhere. thanks lfm680438

Latest posts

Back