Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dolmar brand, weather it is Sachs Dolmar or Dolmar and Makita, is a great brand to follow if you like saws and history. The history of Dolmar is the history of the chainsaw world. To me it is almost like what Ford is historically to automobiles.

The Dolmar brand, weather it is Sachs Dolmar or Dolmar and Makita, is a great brand to follow if you like saws and history. The history of Dolmar is the history of the chainsaw world. To me it is almost like what Ford is historically to automobiles.

Those words are very true.
Dolmar has been around for years
and has built some very nice saws.
I have quite a few in my collection
and my favorite next to Mcculloch.

Lee

Sachs built some saws for Poulan and Poulan built some small saws for Sachs but I never heard one was any part of the other.
Pioneerguy600

So there were two saw plants in Shrieveport LA, or they shared headquarters, or some other kind of alliance? Check out the address on the ads. Just wondering... And who or what is a Fitchel? Never heard of him or them, suppose I'll google unless you know.

Last edited:
So there were two saw plants in Shrieveport LA, or they shared headquarters, or some other kind of alliance? Check out the address on the ads. Just wondering... And who or what is a Fitchel? Never heard of him or them, suppose I'll google unless you know.

Dolmar was (is) a German chainsaw company that makes saws in Hamburg, Germany.

Around 1975 the very large German conglomerate, Fichtel and Sachs bought Dolmar.
F&S majority shares were bought by an even larger conglomerate, Mannessman AG (now ZF) in 1987, then in 1991 Mannessman spun off the Dolmar chainsaw division to Makita.

Obviously their US office was based in Shreveport, no tie in with Poulan AFAIK other than supplying some saws, as they did with McCulloch in Australia and a few other vendors.

Last edited:
I would like to thank tdi-rick for posting all those great advertising posters and for posting all the info on Sachs Dolmar corporate. My info is mostly limited to the saws I have owned and run over a 10 year period when Sachs Dolmar chainsaws were sold here in my neck of the woods.
Pioneerguy600

Here's some from a thread a couple years back. These were scanned by 04Ultra.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=75132&highlight=sachs-dolmar

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Back