Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How many of us like and run Sachs Dolmars? Should we start up our own thread? I see a thread up on most other makes of chainsaws. I have a few Sach Dolmars in my collection and have enjoyed running them for production saws for 10-15 years. What say yea?
Pioneerguy600

I have a Sachs-Dolmar 119 that I purchased new back in 1981 from an Agway store in Blue Bell, PA. My friend's Dad worked there and got us a small break on the price. My friend bought a 166 which he later sold to a local tree service company run by Rick Landis. I still run the 119, though now it's been ported and has a modified muffler.

The saw is on it's second top end because my brother lent it to his brother-in-law who ran it on straight gas. This was back in the early '90s and top end kits were readily available. Not the case anymore. My Dad helped me replace the top end and then about half a year later he passed away. This was the last project we worked on together (since I wasn't living at home anymore), so the saw has quite a bit of sentimental value as well. He showed me this trick of using a strip of metal cut from a coffee can to compress the rings to let the cylinder slip down over.

Great thread Jerry. I just traded my 112 to Bigjohnston, but I really liked the grunt that saw has.

Sachs-Dolmar

If it is painted GREEN does it count?:hmm3grin2orange:

So Jerry,
are you restricting this to the few years years Fichtel & Sachs owned Dolmar (and then by default, Mannesmann, who bought F&S and then a few years later spun off Dolmar to Makita) or can we include all years that saws came out of the Dolmar factory in Hamburg regardless of who/what entity controlled the company shares ? :D

Some saws that can trace their lineage back to the F&S days are still in production, eg the 115.
There is a new 115 on the shelf at my nearest dealer.

IIRC the F&S years were approx. 1975 to 1990/1

Last edited:
Great thread, I like the idea. My Sachs Dolmar 116 is my favorite saw out of the three I own. I find it easy to work on, good power to weight ratio, very impressive for the size.

I think all the dolmar saws could be included, if you have one from 1926 to present day. What I am thinking is that we started a Pioneer thread a while ago, it gives a base to ask questions and get answers on those saws there. Many people get answers there just by reading or seeing picts posted there of saws and repairs to them. So if a thread like that for dolmars were to get going then maybe some of that info all in one thread may be of some use to us posters and others that just prefer to read or research on these saws. Just my thoughts, open to any constructive suggestions certainly.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
I will post some of my thoughts of useful info. I get asked over and over if Sachs Dolmar saws are any good, where to get parts for them, can parts be found online, what parts will swap between which models, what carb is on each model, what bar fits this or that saw, what chain, what size chain and then there is picts of each model, where to get bars, chain, drive sprockets, rims, and even carb kits. So lots of info always being sought out for these saws and that gives a thread lots of possibilities for posts along with personal experiences with these saws wether good or bad. Any other tidbits welcome also.
Pioneerguy600

I think all the dolmar saws could be included, if you have one from 1926 to present day. What I am thinking is that we started a Pioneer thread a while ago, it gives a base to ask questions and get answers on those saws there. Many people get answers there just by reading or seeing picts posted there of saws and repairs to them. So if a thread like that for dolmars were to get going then maybe some of that info all in one thread may be of some use to us posters and others that just prefer to read or research on these saws. Just my thoughts, open to any constructive suggestions certainly.
Pioneerguy600

:cheers:

Thanks Jerry, I didnt know if it would be considered a Poulan or what, Is this kkinda like Yamahe making a lot of Mercury'c four stroke engines and years ago their 2-strokes in the 40hp and under size?

Did Poulan make any saws dor Dolmar in the smaller 30-35 cc range or did they just contract out the larger ones?

What Poulans other than the S6000 Counter-Vibe were made by Dolmar, if any.

Thanks Jerry for all that YOu do !!

and hopefully some of the Yellow Australian McDolmar owners will chime in with photo's and info too :D

McBob had some of the old ad flyers somewhere with some Yellow Dolmars in it, I'll try and dig them up.

Thanks Jerry, I didnt know if it would be considered a Poulan or what, Is this kkinda like Yamahe making a lot of Mercury'c four stroke engines and years ago their 2-strokes in the 40hp and under size?

Did Poulan make any saws dor Dolmar in the smaller 30-35 cc range or did they just contract out the larger ones?

What Poulans other than the S6000 Counter-Vibe were made by Dolmar, if any.

Thanks Jerry for all that YOu do !!

I don`t have the full history on them but as far as I know the 5500, 6000 and 6000S were made by Sachs for Poulan, there may be more and others will certainly chime in. Poulan made some small top handle saws for Sachs Dolmar,
the Hobby series that included the 100, 101, 104 and possibly more but these are the ones I know of.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back