Sachs Dolmar Happy Start system???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylemorley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just had a shoulder replaced, and am looking for a really easy to start - REALLY EASY - midsize chainsaw, which seems to mean Stihl Easy2Start, probably a 250. However I see mentions of Sachs having a similar system on the 420 - Happy Start? - but I cannot find a single description of what it is or how well it works or test of it. And no Sachs dealer nearby, of course.

Anyone know anything about it?

I just had a shoulder replaced, and am looking for a really easy to start - REALLY EASY - midsize chainsaw, which seems to mean Stihl Easy2Start, probably a 250. However I see mentions of Sachs having a similar system on the 420 - Happy Start? - but I cannot find a single description of what it is or how well it works or test of it. And no Sachs dealer nearby, of course.

It (Happy Start) is a compression release.
There is also an Easy Start on some models that is very similar to (although better in my opinion) to the Stihl Easy 2 Start.

Mike

Last edited:
You best go to the dealers and feel of them first? Do not go by the advertising.

Can't help you on the sachs but on the Sthil I just retrofitted an easy 2 start for a customer, he had on 025, I bought the starter on ebay, and I had to swap the flywheel also. everything went right on, ( the easy start was for an ms021 originally but they fit)
Works fine, trying to get the customer to stop trying to pull hard on the damn thing was another story LOL..
I am going to keep an eye out for on cheap as I also have an 025 and had both shoulders worked on (they work ok now but...)

This is very odd. There is NOTHING on the Dolmar site about any easy start system, unless it is the words "Spring assistance to break the compression resistor" buried away in the PS420 discription. Whatever it means! Compare this to Stihl crowing about Easy2Start every chance it gets. Not even in the manuals or spec sheets for the saws that supposedly have it.

So I called around local dealers to see if anyone had a 420 or 510 on the shelf, and ask what they could tell me about the system. Neither had them in stock but one said it was really great, if a bit harder to pull than the Stihl Easy2Start. The other swore that Dolmar had no such system, and he would not carry the saws if they did!

So until one of the dealers gets inventory, I will just have to speculate.

It (Happy Start) is a compression release.
There is also an Easy Start on some models that is very similar to (although better in my opinion) to the Stihl Easy 2 Start.

Mike

You also need to find a dealer that knows SOMETHING about his product!
There are several good ones here.
It's pretty sad that a common layman (me) knows more about a product than people who call themselves dealers.

Mike

I just had a shoulder replaced, and am looking for a really easy to start - REALLY EASY - midsize chainsaw, which seems to mean Stihl Easy2Start, probably a 250.

It's the MS250 C-BE you want, the other systems are not the same.

With the Husqvarna, and from what I could see on Brads video also the Dolmar system, the starter is somehow spring assisted, I don't know exactly how it works, but it's really similar to how an ordinary starter works: You have to pull fairly hard and fairly fast and then, but just then the spring does some magic and it suddenly becomes much easier to pull the cord the rest of the way. But if you can't begin the pull hard and fast enough these systems are no good and does nothing to help you.

The Stihl way is different: The pull cord works as if it wasn't attached to the fly wheel, instead all the power you invest in pulling the cord goes to wind up a spring. You can pull as slow as you like, and the resistance in the pull cord is ridiculously low. Only when the spring is wound up enough the spring engages the flywheel and starts your saw for you. It usually takes my saw two pulls to load the spring enough for one start attempt, and I need two start attempts with choke and one without when the saw is cold. That's five time pressing the primer and six slow, quite short and low resistance pulls - and you're sawing!

The only down side is that you're not looking very cool aside your cutting buddies as they're drop starting their 3120's and you're standing there slowly winding up that spring powered toy...

To put it into real life perspective: My 81 year old mother can start my 250 with Easy2Start using two fingers on her left hand, but she can't start her own Husqvarna trimmer that has the other "easy start" system even if it was to save her life.

The "Easy Start" on the Dolmar, at least on my 5105 has to be used just like Brad's daughter did it.

If you reach down to "man handle the situation" and jerk on the handle like on other saws, the thing is a bear to pull over.

You have to pull up against compression and let it slip though. Watch the video several times to see just how she is doing it.

When I bought my 5105, the dealer sat in a chair and started the cold saw in his lap but I wouldn't want to do that myself.

I just approach the 5105 with determination and start the saw up with brute manpower with the saw on the ground and my foot on the pad just like I do on my Dolmar 7900.

Happy Start? Seriously, a chainsaw with a "happy start"? Might be a nice feature, but "happy start"? Is that really what they call it?:jester: When your finished cutting, is then a "happy stop"?

Happy Start? Seriously, a chainsaw with a "happy start"? Might be a nice feature, but "happy start"? Is that really what they call it?:jester: When your finished cutting, is then a "happy stop"?

I know that may not be the most masculine term ever used, but you go ahead and get yourself a double dose of "torn rotator cuff" and heat your house solely with wood, and you will find it being very appropriate!!!

Mike

"Happy Start" was an old term used with the Dolmar 109 I think?

The current name is "Easy Start". I amounts to a spring assist on the starter pulley. You essentially bring the piston up towards TDC and hold it there with some pressure. As the compression bleeds off enough for the piston to snap on through TDC with the aid of the spring, the engine will fire.

This is contradictory to starting most big saws as they have a automatic timing advance-retard set up and if you dilly around coming up to TDC, the timing will remain fully advanced and you will get the handle snatched out of your hand when the saw kicks.

Yes!

And it works VERY well!

Mike

I guess so, but what's the point for normal users?

To the original topic, "happy start" used to be about the decomp valve, and nothing else.

"Easy start" is a different thing, as far as I know - and what this really is about....:msp_wink:

Back