Sacrificial saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they get in the shop, which would require a quickie saw or some hardcore pry tools, then they can get to whatever they want. If they get in my truck box, same deal. Thieves with the gall to rob a shop don’t take the first thing they see and leave, in my experience. It’s also pretty nice to have somebody there for something like twelve to sixteen hours per day six days a week, at least during the busy season.

If I’m at the shop, the blue heeler/border collie mutt can be one mean bastard to strangers, he’s fifty pounds of spitfire fur missile that goes most places I do and seems to judge intention better than I can. I don’t keep many tools at home, but he’s the same way there.

If they get in the shop, which would require a quickie saw or some hardcore pry tools, then they can get to whatever they want. If they get in my truck box, same deal. Thieves with the gall to rob a shop don’t take the first thing they see and leave, in my experience. It’s also pretty nice to have somebody there for something like twelve to sixteen hours per day six days a week, at least during the busy season.

If I’m at the shop, the blue heeler/border collie mutt can be one mean bastard to strangers, he’s fifty pounds of spitfire fur missile that goes most places I do and seems to judge intention better than I can. I don’t keep many tools at home, but he’s the same way there.

Blue Heelers are great. People freeze in their tracks if they try walking up my driveway. Smokie is quite adamant.

80-20160625_180546_zpsajroiamd_dfae5e4977398c00c8acd7deebaf033e6f02eb5d.jpg

Its quite simple, actually, move to a safer neighborhood.:popcorn2:

Seriously. My neighbor said the last crime she can remember in my neighborhood was 20 years ago when an ATV was stolen.

My top tip, if leaving your workshop for a few days or so is to remove the pullstart assembly from the best saws you own, a would be thief is going to think these are kaput and thus leave them alone. Even popping the top covers can give the same illusion, fault labels are a good idea too!

I was broken into a while back, and out of all the better saws, they chose a disassembled 029 super, missing all the covers, and both handles, a rebuilt 029- now 039, and a husky 240 with cracked plastic and a broken chain brake.
They stole a lot of other stuff, most of it unreplaced, but skipped over my better saws (for which I am thankful)
I used to work on a crew that would have tools go missing on the regular at night... and every time I got a new cordless tool, first thing I did was put it, and a 5 gallon bucket of large sharp gravel dipped in paint into a portable cement mixer for a few hours... my tools looked like they'd been through hell for 5 years after that, and never went missing. They would never sell, even though inside that horrible exterior, they're brand new.

I couldn't imagine being with someone who cares how many saws I have, as long as I'm taking care of my other responsibilities. I don't care how many shoes my girlfriend has.

There's a reason I'm not married.
Ikr. I never ask to buy anything and neither does my wife. We both work and have good paying jobs so she has her money, i have mine, and we have “our” money for bills and such.

Back