Saddle for rec climbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeg520

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, can anybody recommend a good comfortable saddle for recreational climbing?

Last edited:
JJ, I have. Actually I'm contemplating ordering another Ness/Newtribe. I want the larger Ds this time and I need a little bigger waist belt to accomodate my Portable, Modular, Food storage unit.

I've been climbing in a custom built Ness for years. You will find them extremely comfortable. When it comes time to replace, I'll go with another Ness for certain.

My Ness isn't anywhere near worn out yet, but when it's time to replace it, it will be another Ness.Very cumfy!! I'm also getting ready to purchase the kids saddle for my little ones.

Does anyone not like the New tribe saddle for tree work? I was thinking of getting a versatile from sherrill.
For rec climbing I think a non-traditional saddle would be best. But what do I know? I only climb trees if I'm being paid.

Jason, Actually today is my wifes Bday.Also one of our cats had kittens today so your happy Birthday wasn't wasted. :cool:

Hey mike

What ever saddle you choose make sure it has side d-rings for your lanyard and of course front d-rings for your lifeline.

I personally use a Buckingham Traverse

http://www.buckinghammfg.com/arborist/Traverse.html

As it has excellent back support for those heavy saws, a hard seat to have a rest, sliding d-rings on the front which helps on limb walks and heaps of rings on the back to hang stuff like pulleys, biners, slings etc.

The version we buy in Australia has double side d-rings so we can clip up our saws with a biner, I actually have a hook jammed between them and my saw has a ring on the strap so I can easily grab and drop saw back on harness "one handed" ... like quick draw... ideal for one handed cut & chuck!

Anyway, where we buy our saddles they have a rope from a roof beam so we can test them for fit and comfort ... but here in Australia we pay $550 for the one I have and the cheapest is about $400 so we spend wisely.

I use my Ness for work too. I like it a lot, except that it doesn't hold a big saw very well. No big deal for me though.

Back