Sae 30 used in chainsaw fuel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is true they used to run 30 weight oil in chain saws! They key to it was as some other guys said you needed to use non detergent it stays mixed up better than normal motor oil. It was actually the cheaper oil! As far as the ratio it was any where from 16/1 to 30/1 mostly. This was way before we had the good oils we have now. You can do it with the old saws, I would not run it any of my newer saw though. I have run the older saws that called for the old motor oil, with a 32/1 mixture of normal 2cycle oil no problem. I am not saying anyone else should but I have! Everyone has there own preferences!

Found this on another thread....

Found this on another thread and wanted to post it in this thread.

attachment.php

Good post! I guess that it's alright to run sae 30 in saw fuel, just maybe not as good as a quality 2-stroke mix. This isn't to say that I'll be switching over to Quaker State though.

I'll be using 2 stroke oil in my 1/2 cycles too. Or...are they a 1/4 cycle?

Funny thing is. When I was a kid we got a old Scorpion snowmobile. The track was shot.... It was pretty much wore out. Not knowing the difference and why 2 stroke oil is used I used crankcase oil. Boy did that thing smoke and unburnt oil came out of the exhaust! I don't know the strength of oil to gas.... It did run....

I think I'll try 30w in the David Bradley..... Just for the experience.
My $.02

Dan

A local small engine repairman told me that the best thing to use in two stroke engines is 8 oz of sae 30 motor oil with 1 gallon of premium gas. He said that using the regular two-cycle oil will cause it to seize under constant load. He has numerous vintage saws and string trimmers that have only ran on this mixture without fail. I've talked to many old-timers who have supported this theory. My Stihl dealer said that regular motor oil doesn't have the additives to keep it mixed with the gas. I've always ran the same brand of oil as the machine I'm using (I.e. Stihl oil in my saws). Does anyone have any experience with this?

Did not even read the whole tread but if you run anything under/over 50:1, the engineers back at Stihl or any other manufacturer can tell and they will not warranty anything on that piece of equipment.

Do yourself a favor and run the Stihl super HP (Jaso FD/ ISO-L-EGD) at 50:1 with 93 octane fuel from a high quality gas station...... NOT CITGO (they have no additives in their fuel. Chevron or Hess or BP or Marathon or Shell are all great)

I personally would not walk one more time into that dealer, he cannot be very smart thinking that 4 stroke lubrication will stay in suspension in fuel as well as burn like 2 stroke oil and lubricate and clean as well.

Good Luck.....:chainsaw:

Two stroke oil isn't regulated like four cycle oil is so its up to the manufacturer for their own recommendations. Ask them whats covered under warrenty if something happens to your saw and your not using their oil they recommended, most won't cover it period, its a loophole some companies use to get out of paying for damages, if the guy says dump in the magic mystery fluid found on the street corner maybe get it in writiing he'll make sure your warrenty is good and your saws gonna last for decades to come without problems. What went 40 years ago might not fly in todays saws, read and follow the manufacturers recommenadations for that model of saw to the tee, 40 years ago no manufacturer recommended using synthetic oil either but today some require it for certain products. Some products have strict requirements for the quality of gas also, so maybe not the stuff thats still in the tank of the 1960's car thats been sitting in the weeds for 20 years either even if its still in somewhat of a liquid form, even though granddad used it religeously for years and had good luck :)

A local small engine repairman told me that the best thing to use in two stroke engines is 8 oz of sae 30 motor oil with 1 gallon of premium gas. He said that using the regular two-cycle oil will cause it to seize under constant load. He has numerous vintage saws and string trimmers that have only ran on this mixture without fail. I've talked to many old-timers who have supported this theory. My Stihl dealer said that regular motor oil doesn't have the additives to keep it mixed with the gas. I've always ran the same brand of oil as the machine I'm using (I.e. Stihl oil in my saws). Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thats job security for him. (probably how he got "numerous vintage saws")

Back