SAE30 or 2 cycle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Methoss084

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a specific chart or rule of thumb that I can use to proper ratio mix using todays 2 cycle oils with saws that originally said to use a 1/2 pint of SAE30w oil to 1 gallon of gas. I've got about 75 pre 1960 saws, and over the years have just guessed at the mix ratio, and always end up mixing to rich, which I guess is better than to lean. I run Stihl's oil, any ideas?:confused:

rich is better than lean thats for sure - for the old saws the ratios sometimes seem extremely rich but thats what they were made for (ive heard of 20:1 etc) ...now i dont know about the 30 weight motor oil though...it is a 2stroker so give it 2stroke oil - rich if anything - you cant find a new piston for a 1960's saw very easily....husky and stihl oil apparently is the stuff to go with with the old stuff (ie. military oil) if you wanna make em last use synthetic and make sure the gas is fresh. if you look at the gas mix it actually changes color in 4 weeks - thats not good...and thats with the gas stabilizer in it. so new gas plenty of oil and full throttle!!!!

I run my old xl-12 on stihl oil at 32:1 . I work with a guy who retired from Texaco Research Center in Glenham, NY. He spent 30 years or better as a "lubrication Engineer". He advised me not to run the original suggestion of sae-30 at 16:1. My xl-12 has seen some hard days on 32: pre-mix and shows no signs of oil starvation.

My Zip is 16:1, Mac says 20:1 (or 40:1 on Mac oil), and an old string trimmer I have says 20:1. But I run Echo oil at 32:1 in everything and they are still alive. Yes my Zip says you can run 30wt. non-detergent oil, and I know that's what was used in it before I got it. Saw an old Zip on E-bay and the tag said 10:1! No mosquito problems with this one!

SAE 30 was used because pure 2 cycle oil did not exist until the 60's. Just use the same ratio and you will be fine. I run my zip on Husky XP oil at 32:1 and it run great, and I dont impersonate the mosquito control guy.

Thanks for the tips guys, I always said that richer was better. A J6C sparkplug is always cheaper then tryin to track down a top end for a 60 year old saw LOL..:D I have an old I.E.L that says 12:1 on the gas cap, I just tell the neighbors it a loud cropduster:rolleyes: The thing I worry about more then anything else is running unleaded fuel, especially with all the MTBE "Methyl
Tertiary Butyl Ether" and Methanol that they mix with the gas today. I've seen alot of saws at the exhaust port because of gas and oil seperation even in the gas tank of a saw that sat for a couple of weeks. I always advise our customers to mix only what they need, and mix a fresh batch everytime.

I know what you mean, besides, the old saws weren't about RPM's anyway. Most people end up burning them up trying to lean that Tillotson way out as a way to get more RPM's.

Back