Safety gone mad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree 100%. This is the same with guns. Both chainsaws and guns are tools, meant for a useful purpose when required, but can kill you or others without exercising yer noodle properly. The first line of defense is the most highly engineered piece of equipment on the planet (and still yet so little is understood about them) - the human brain.

"Ban chainsaws, they kill people?!!?" :chainsaw:

"Ban chainsaws, they kill people?!!?"
Are there restrictions on who can buy or rent a chainsaw in the UK? People have suggested that in other posts.

Here in the US, anyone can walk into a store and buy one. I don't think they would even ask your age. There are workplace restrictions for those who use them as part of their employment, but few for the general public (e.g. my city requires a permit to remove a tree, and you need to be certified and insured).

Philbert

Are there restrictions on who can buy or rent a chainsaw in the UK? People have suggested that in other posts.

Here in the US, anyone can walk into a store and buy one. I don't think they would even ask your age. There are workplace restrictions for those who use them as part of their employment, but few for the general public (e.g. my city requires a permit to remove a tree, and you need to be certified and insured).

Philbert
Sort of yes and sort of no. To walk into a shop and get a top handled chainsaw in the UK you need your CS39 certificate which is the one for using a chainsaw in a tree. That's only a thing to with with liability and safety though, you don't need a certificate to own one. I think it was mainly to stop "Paul and Anne" picking up one for the garden and single handing it before removing the top of their skull thinking the smaller it is the safer it must be... Apart from that there's no real laws! We may live in a bit of a nanny state here but it's dumb really. If I leave a stanley knife in my car door pocket and don't have a good reason I could be done for having a knife but if I want a ms200 on my passenger seat then that's fine :laugh:

Philbert

My sons buddy went into a local shore to buy a husky 390 with a 36” bar. The salesman gave the kid a hard time. I have no clue what the kid told the guy.

My sons buddy went into a local shore to buy a husky 390 with a 36” bar. The salesman gave the kid a hard time. I have no clue what the kid told the guy.
"Will this saw be able to cut a body.... Ur I mean tree... In half with a 36" bar?" :laugh:

Back