Salt Lake City, UT Area Felling G-T-G & Service Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gents:

I've got a "service project" that needs some support. The Boy Scouts of America have a summer camp in the High Uinta Mountains. The Mountain Pine Beetle has killed up to 50% of the lodge pole pines in some areas. The camp has an urgent need for some serious tree felling. The dead trees are around the "Klondike" cabins, roads and camp sites. The US Forest Service requires BSA to remove snags (standing/dead trees). The problem is that the BSA needs volunteers to do this work as they don't have the budget to hire a professional crew. Over the past 2 summers, I've organized several groups to help out and we've felled over 200 trees -- most are 30-36 inch DBH. As such, hundreds of loads of firewood have been removed.

The camp opens in July and the camp director has asked for help to drop some problem trees before opening day. There is a service project scheduled for SATURDAY, JUNE 22. I need help with experienced fallers with big saws that are willing to do a little pro bono work. The site is approximately 75 miles from Salt Lake City. So far, I've got only one experienced faller that has committed. I've got several rookies that can handle the smaller trees, but I need help with the 30" to 40" trees. There is little or no limbing or bucking. This is just "cut and run". The current estimate is that 20+ trees still need to be felled.

With a US Forest Service firewood permit, you can haul away all you want!

The area is 9,500 to 10,000 feet of elevation, so big saws are needed. I estimate that H.P. is down by 30% at that elevation. My 390XP feels like a 372XP at that elevation. I do most work with 28" to 32" bars.

If you can help, please send me a text with your info and availability. 281-732-4233

I thought the Boy Scouts of America no longer existed. It's been demasculinated. Obviously women fellers need to do the felling. Step up ladies. Lol

Latest posts

Back