ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Santa Squirrel....

Peavey

Peavey

ArboristSite Lurker
I was finishing breakfast this morning and heard a scratching in my metal chimney. First thought was a bird, turned out to be a squirrel.
The little bugger made it into the fire box....
SquirrelStove1.jpg

I made a "bronco chute"out of scrap plywood and roofing tin to guide it to the door....it wasn't playing fair.It wasn't leaving, and I did persuade it!
SquirrelStove2.jpg
So I made a insert out of wire mesh and baited a live trap. That was 3 hours ago....
SquirrelStovetrap1.jpg
Thought it was shy so I draped it. "crickets"
SquirrelStovetrapcovered.jpg
I may have to wait a while. Any advice?

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
You definitely get an A+ for effort!
How did you "catch" it? Did it go into your trap?
I would have put on some leather gloves and grabbed it with a towel... but your contraption is fancier, and more high-tech, for sure. :cheers:

Peavey

Peavey

ArboristSite Lurker
Yup, the trap worked. I had to wait a while even though it was baited with Peanut butter/apple. I thought about the glove/towel solution but didn't want the ashes scattered and I saw my brother as a young lad bit by a squirrel...not nice. He had to take rabies/tetanus shots. He was wearing thick gloves too.
I had all the stuff handy so it wasn't a big deal putting it all together.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
PS
Yup, the trap worked. I had to wait a while even though it was baited with Peanut butter/apple. I thought about the glove/towel solution but didn't want the ashes scattered and I saw my brother as a young lad bit by a squirrel...not nice. He had to take rabies/tetanus shots. He was wearing thick gloves too.
I had all the stuff handy so it wasn't a big deal putting it all together.
Great job... and thank goodness you didn't have a fire going!

Peavey

Peavey

ArboristSite Lurker
Yeah, no kidding! The only reason I didn't was because there's been a record breaking heatwave up here, most times in November the fire's going all the time. I figured out how to post videos on this site so here's the little jailbird in person....

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah, no kidding! The only reason I didn't was because there's been a record breaking heatwave up here, most times in November the fire's going all the time. I figured out how to post videos on this site so here's the little jailbird in person....
How cute! Never seen a black squirrel in person before. Only the gray ones... and rarely a red one.

Volund

Volund

experienced loner
So, where is the video of you setting him free?