Sap oozing from pine trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachaelNE

Reaction score
Does this look like "normal" sap oozing or damage from borer activity?
This is a newly planted pine tree, 7-8' tall. The tree's overall color is not bad, maybe a little yellowish.

Attachments

• Pine.JPG
    Pine.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 27
Not normal for new nursery stock, possible bark beetles or other insect activity. Is the tree under warranty?
Thanks! That is what I was thinking. I don't believe there is a warranty. I was called to check the tree because of some browning of the lower branches. This is a replacement tree for a new tree that died earlier this season. As I checked the root ball I noticed the tree was planted in red clay soil so it was obviously shipped from somewhere, not grown locally as we do not have red clay soil in Nebraska. I am considering suggesting to the client that they cut their losses now and start over with a better quality tree.

Nursery stock should be insect, disease & mechanical damage free. It's the responsibility of the installer to inspect before planting. If no warranty, I would recommend that you properly ID the disorder & salvage the tree with treatments if needed. The pine is by no means a remove & replace unless you show pics to the contrary. Do you need help with diagnosis?

Nursery stock should be insect, disease & mechanical damage free. It's the responsibility of the installer to inspect before planting. If no warranty, I would recommend that you properly ID the disorder & salvage the tree with treatments if needed. The pine is by no means a remove & replace unless you show pics to the contrary. Do you need help with diagnosis?

The entire trunk has holes from top to bottom. I did get a diagnosis from the extension office that it is in fact the result of borer activity. They suggested as well that the homeowner at least consider starting over with a healthy tree as control will be difficult to achieve and the tree has a long road ahead attempting to compartmentalize so much damage.

pine-jpg.447852

The borer needs to be ID. Is it an aggressive pest like southern bark beetle? If so your replacement tree will also be toast without treatments. May need to look at other tree types.
Is it an opportunistic pest just taking advantage of a weak stressed tree? Why is the tree weak & stressed? New tree wont fix poor soil conditions.
Can you post a pic of the pines foliage & root collar?
Planting a replacement may be just folly times two.

Back