Saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad044

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m in the market for an older, because I don’t have the funds for a new, saw that will pull a 30” or longer bar. I’m not a brand snob by any means. I’m just looking for some ideas of what to keep an eye out for.
thanks!!

Where I’m at doesn’t have the best used saw market. A lot of homeowner stuff. I’ve checked eBay and the saws that look decent are up around 7-800 bucks. Not looking for a handout, just seeing what you guys might know as a fair price for stuff, too.

You might want to consider a huztl clone or build a kit if you can't find a deal on used. There are no big used saws here either. I went the kit route.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I’ve been looking on eBay and have been considering piecing one together. How has that hutzl held up?

I’ve been looking on eBay and have been considering piecing one together. How has that hutzl held up?
I built the 660 and Husqvarna clones. The early 660 kits had some problems. I have heard they are ironed out but I don't know. The Husqvarna kit is good. No issues with it. It starts great and runs great. The 660 runs good once you get it started. The fast idle doesn't work and it's hard to start. I bought it for milling but haven't had a chance to do any yet. I have used both saws some but not alot so I don't know how long they will last. The starter ropes are junk.

Have you looked in the for sale section of this forum? There are other forums you can look on as well. The forum about gas powered stuff you use outside is a good one. This site won't let me type the name of the other site correctly, it blocks it out.

I built the 660 and Husqvarna clones. The early 660 kits had some problems. I have heard they are ironed out but I don't know. The Husqvarna kit is good. No issues with it. It starts great and runs great. The 660 runs good once you get it started. The fast idle doesn't work and it's hard to start. I bought it for milling but haven't had a chance to do any yet. I have used both saws some but not alot so I don't know how long they will last. The starter ropes are junk.

That’s gonna be my use. I’ve got a ms310 and an 038av. I’m tired of turning potential boards into firewood. A lot of the stuff is too big for my little hud-son mill.

Have you looked in the for sale section of this forum? There are other forums you can look on as well. The forum about gas powered stuff you use outside is a good one. This site won't let me type the name of the other site correctly, it blocks it out.

I have, again, I don’t know enough and chainsaw milling to know how big of a bar any particular saw will pull comfortably. I’m accepting all insight and recommendations.

That’s gonna be my use. I’ve got a ms310 and an 038av. I’m tired of turning potential boards into firewood. A lot of the stuff is too big for my little hud-son mill.
Get the 660 kit for milling. There is a ton of info on this site about building those, videos too.

I have, again, I don’t know enough and chainsaw milling to know how big of a bar any particular saw will pull comfortably. I’m accepting all insight and recommendations.
The 660 will pull a 36" fine. If you have a 36" mill and a 36" bar you can probably get a 28" wide board out of it.

That's why I got mine. I don't even burn wood, so when I had a tree blow down, I just had to cut it up and put it on the brush pile.

Back